Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Starbucks Gifu goods 2018/11/14 02:35
Hi Everyone,

I just got back from a wonderful trip in Japan. While I was there I noticed Starbucks had these regional mugs / tumblers showing popular and cultural references for the regions. I picked up the Gifu tumbler while I was visiting to remember the trip and enjoy at work. I was just wondering if anyone know what the words on the mug reference? I asked my friend in Tokyo but she said it was regional dialect and was not sure.

http://www.starbucks.co.jp/goods/bottle/4524785345713/?category=goods%...
Here is the link to the Starbucks site that shows the mug. I think the I in Gifu on the mug is to represent a river or water...but maybe a snake?

I should have asked while I was in Gifu but didn't think about it at the time.
Thank you for any help. I tried looking it up on google and translation apps but it did not help.
the words on the mug are:
Eete Eete
Dera Chin Chin
Ketta
by KuroKishi (guest)  

Re: Starbucks Gifu goods 2018/11/14 17:10
Hello, I'm from Gifu.

Yes, they are Gifu dialect that young people don't use anymore.

`Dera chin chin` means very hot, and Eete means it's okay.

By the way, I didn't know Starbucks sold this bottle. It should be good Christmas gift to my family in law in the US. Thank you!
by Aco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Starbucks Gifu goods 2018/11/15 01:56
Aco

Thank you so much. Yes, the mugs and tumblers are very cute and I have been using mine since returning on the trip. Gifu is very beautiful and thank you for all your help.
by KuroKishi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Starbucks Gifu goods 2018/12/12 11:37
That is interesting.
by clancy19 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread