Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kawaguchiko vs. Hakone (one day trip) 2018/11/14 20:13
Hello,

Me and fam are going to Japan next week and we will have one day dedicated for mt. Fuji sightseeing in our itinerary. Our starting point is from Tokyo. The problem is, we can't decide which one is better for the first timer: Kawaguchiko or Hakone?

The first plan was to visit both Kawaguchiko (lake kawaguchi and Churiote Temple) then go to Gotemba FO. So the route would be shinjuku-Kawaguchiko Station-Gotemba Station-Shinjuku. But then i was informed that Gotemba is in Hakone area, which is far from kawaguchiko. It's like two different place, and they said it would be too useless to visit both in one day since the schedule would be super packed.

So my questions are:
1. Does my first plan really sounds terrible? (lol) --what i mean is shinjuku-Kawaguchiko Station-Gotemba Station-Shinjuku in one day.
2. If it is better to visit only one place for one day trip, which one you recommend the most for first timer?
Note: our main interest is seeing Mt. Fuji (finger crossed the weather will be sunny!), scenery, shops and foods (if there's any). We won't play much as we are going there with elders, so Fuji Q isn't in the list.

Thank you very much!
by mimamumemo  

Re: Kawaguchiko vs. Hakone (one day trip) 2018/11/15 15:05
Are you planning on leaving via Kansai? If so you could give Gotemba a miss and shop at Rinku Town which is pretty much the same (there is also a big centre at Karuizawa that looks similar, but really they arent much different to any number of outlet centres we have in Australia and even most of the shops are the same).

Lake Karuizawa is pretty and on a good day you have great views of Mt Fuji. Aside from that there isnt much to do. Hakone lake is more visually interesting IMO and the towns along the train line offer more (open air museum etc). But then I dont think the Mt Fuji views are as good, and less chance of seeing it.

Personally I wouldnt day trip to either, they are appealing and fun for an overnight ryokan stay, but if you are only really going in the hope of seeing Mt Fuji it is a lot of trouble for potential disappointment. There are other places that are easier to get to that might be as or more rewarding, eg Karuizawa (if you like shopping) or Bessho Onsen (for onsen-ing) or Enoshima for a fun island with potential Fuji views.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko vs. Hakone (one day trip) 2018/11/15 16:44
sorry not Lake Karuizawa (no such thing), Lake Kawaguchiko
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko vs. Hakone (one day trip) 2018/11/15 17:37
Hello Lazy Pious, Thank you for your advice :)
Via Kansai means from Osaka? I'm leaving from Tokyo.

Yes, i was informed that viewing mt. Fuji needs big luck because the weather is unpredictable ;( Nevertheless, we want to try. My friend also said Gotemba is not really that special, lol. Aside from that, i still need to consider between Kawaguchiko or Hakone.. But maybe Hakone is more convincing since it has more things to do/see rather than Kawaguchiko, yes? So even if we can't see mt. Fuji, we still have things to do there.

My schedule is kinda tight so we certainly cannot spend a night in there ;( so i hope all of our lucks work on that trip seeing mt. Fuji!

I did a research on Karuizawa and i think it's in Nagano area? Because i have plan to go to Nagano too, so i might go there while i'm in Nagano :))
by mimamumemo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread