Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Alps in which order? 2018/11/17 00:09
Hi
Planning to visit Japanese Alps for 4 days with my partner from 24th to 28th April. Will be coming from Kiso valley after spending a night there . Would like to visit Matsumoto castle, Takeyama, Kamikochi, Okuhida onsen and Toyoma Alpine route .
I was thinking in order - Morning train fron Kiso valley to Matsumoto (see castle) head to Takeyama either spend night there or head to one of the Onsen towns . In morning head to Kamikochi. Evening either back to onsen town or Takeyama. Next morning head to Toyoma Alpine route. The route starts from one side and heads to other side so if we are starting from Shino Omachi it's better to end day at Kanazawa?
Which onsen towns or particular onsen are recommended with best views of Alps or other landscape views with good overall service ? I hope these onsens have option of overnight accommodation.
I would have liked to visit Shirakawa go and Hakuba but don't know if that is possible.
Thanks.
by Harry (guest)  

Re: Japanese Alps in which order? 2018/11/17 13:57
I'd go Kiso - Matsumoto, then train and bus to Kamikochi, then bus to Okuhida and bus to Takayama, then wideview hida from Takayama to Toyama. We have been to Matsumoto, Kamikochi, and Takayama a few times and just did the train/bus from matsumoto to Kamikochi and bus from Kamikochi to Takayama a few weeks ago.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Alps in which order? 2018/11/17 23:18
Thank you. We might not be staying over night in Kiso. As we will be taking a morning train from Kyoto to Magome. I think 2 hours in both the villages should be alright with a lunch break. We are not planning to do the hike between two, better spend time in villages.
If we can be back by early evening to Matsumoto, spend the night there. Check out Castle in the morning. Take bus to Takeyama, stay in Takayama, next morning bus to Kamikochi, overnight in Okuhida onsen, Morning bus to Kanazawa via Shirakawa Go. Night in Kanazawa. Alpine route next morning. After alpine route spend a night in Toyoma. Next day heading to Aomori.
Please recommend some good Onsen in the Okuhida region. We are looking for open air Onsen ( mix gender or private) with some beautiful views over Alps. And rooms with private bathroom. Was also thinking of doing some Onsen hopping in the evening. I think there are 4 main Onsen towns in Okuhida. Does all of them have easy access to each other?
I have tattoos on both of my half sleeves. Will that be a problem in the Onsens? Thanks lot for your help.
by Harry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Alps in which order? 2018/11/18 04:36
Wait so you're starting from Kyoto before the Kiso Valley so, where you are going to post your time in the Alps? That could make a difference on what route makes the most sense.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Alps in which order? 2018/11/18 09:36
I quite didnft understand your question. We have 5 nights in Alps if we donft stay overnight at Kiso Valley. From 22nd April to 26th April.

Itinerary is to fly into Osaka 17th April - Kyoto 5 days ( with day trip to Nara ) and if time allows Hiroshima/Miyajima or Himeji. Otherwise We would rather spend time in Kyoto.
Morning train from Kyoto to Kiso Valley(22nd April)- Magome - Tsumago.
4 pm Tain to Matsumoto., overnight in Matsumoto.
Follow above Japan Alps itinerary

Head to Tohoku 27- 30th April (Aomori/Akita perfection) for 4 nights ( planning 2 nights in Aomori, 2 nights at Morioka)

Move to Tokyo (1-5 May)for next 5 days with day trip to Fuji or may be one of the flower parks if they are in bloom.
Flying from Tokyo.
Thank you
by Harry (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread