Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/17 15:24
Hi,
We will be travelling in mid Dec and the itinerary as follows:-

Kyoto to Takayama,
Takayama to Shirakawago (Day tour),
Takayama to Nagoya.

Based on the above, do we need to purchase JR pass??

Many thanks!!!
by Fiona (guest)  

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/18 10:28
No jr rail pass.

This pass better
http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/18 20:35
Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

I am a bit confused. Does that mean that I can use this pass to travel direct from Kyoto to Takayama?

Thank you!

by Fiona Wong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/19 04:58
You can mot travel directly between Kyoto and Takayama. But both locations are in the service zone.

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/19 11:43
With that Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass, You can travel to Takayama from Kyoto, but you must travel the route that goes through Toyama.

From Kyoto, take the Thunderbird to Kanazawa. Then transfer to the Shinkansen to Toyama. Then transfer to Hida to Takayama.

The fastest way would be through Nagoya and would save you at least an hour. But you'd probably want the JR pass for that, as it's an expensive trip.

Will you be flying out of Nagoya? If you need to tranfer back to Kansai airport to fly home, that will not be covered by the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass. That would probably push it in favor of getting a rail pass.

You may also consider using a bus between Kyoto and Takayama and Nagoya. It is only about 7000 yen total for the trip, which is significantly cheaper than using a train. It will add about an hour over the fastest train, but no transfers.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/

Keep in mind that for Shirakawa-go, the only way is via bus.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/19 15:01
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. We will be flying out from Nagoya.

We have a family of five (including 3 children), taking bus is more convenient or taking train (from Kyoto to Takayama)?

Thank you.

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/19 18:00
https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/highwaybus/osaka_en/

third option down when i googled kyoto takayama bus...

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/19 18:03
I prefer the train as much as possible with children. As you have the ability to move around. Buses you are confined to your seat with very little ability to move around. IF you have kids, only you know your kids and can decide if bus or train is better for you.

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/20 08:53
I don't think one is more convenient than the other. You would board the buses right outside the main train station in all cases. Certainly the experience is a bit better on the train, but you will also have to make transfers. If you use the cheaper tourist rail pass linked above, you will be making 2 transfers and the trip will not really be any faster on the train. So in that sense, having a direct bus is more convenient, I guess.

If your kids are under 11, they will get a big discount on the rail pass, so it may not be cheaper to take the bus in that case.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need to purchase Japan Rail Pass? 2018/11/21 14:31
Hi all,

Thank you for your valuable replies..

I have a question, if I travel via shinkansen Hikari and Ltd Exp. (Wide Hida) Hida from Kyoto to Takayama, will this be covered under JR pass?

And also if travelling within Nagoya subway, can JR pass cover the travelling??

Thank you!!

reply to this thread