Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/8 21:57
I am a Foreigner with 90 Days Tourist visa.I need your opinion. Your comment,experience is highly appreciated.
by Monica (guest)  

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/10 11:21
Look at the menu at the top of this page. It answers your questions. Specifically

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e627.html

by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/10 13:35
Like nearly everyone else, I get one to save money. Last time I used one, I saved twice as much as what I paid.

That said, a rail pass is not a guaranteed money saver - if you travel too little, you could lose money on a rail pass too. For some people, regional rail passes might make more sense. Or if going to the ends of the country, flying might be more sensible.

The rail pass calculator on
http://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
is a useful tool to help you for most mainstream itineraries.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/10 14:51
The JR Rail Pass is a discount pass only given to foreigners. You get to ride the trains for cheaper than the local Japanese. But yes, depending on how you use it, it might be a little bit more expensive, so plan your trip wisely and you will save tons of money.

For more information and good tips about Japan, visit https://www.go-a2b.com/ . They have lots of good info and stuff that is not in guide books.
by A2B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/10 15:48
You get to ride the trains for cheaper than the local Japanese.

The above is rather deceptive and misleading. You don't ride cheaper at all. It is a rail pass - you ride as much as you want - you could rack up huge savings over buying regular fare tickets, or if you don't ride enough you can lose money on one too.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/11 08:59
The JR Rail Pass is a discount pass only given to foreigners
False - it is not a discount pass.

The national Japan Rail Pass provides unlimited travel for specified duration (7, 14 or 21 days). If you use a seven day pass for just one trip costing 200 yen, then the Y29,110 for a seven day pass is hardly a discount. Most people get a JPpass when their expected cost of travel exceeds the normal fare.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Why you buy JR Nationwide pass 2018/12/11 10:37
When working out if I needed a pass, and if so which pass to get, I went through every major bit of travel of Hyperdia. I noted down what was and wasn't JR, and the timings of the journeys ie what day I would be travelling where.

For me spending 46,390 yen on a pass is getting me 94,000 yen of travel with JR and I'll be paying around 14,000 yen for non-JR services. So for me it's a no brainer to buy the pass plus now I know how much extra cash I'm going to need to different places.

But seriously sit down for a hour or so and work it out. It also helps you work out when a trip just isn't going to work. I dropped one of my planned day trips because once I had timed it out it just wasn't going to work.
by moonangelica (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread