Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/9 04:58
Hi, would appreciate any kind advice for our upcoming trip on 18 Dec. Our arrival time is 12.50pm at Narita Airport and we will most probably not make it in time for the last bus to Kawaguchiko at 1.35pm.
As we are travelling with children and big luggage, what would be our next best/fastest option other than car/taxi? We are planning to spend 2 nights there for visiting Fuji-Q Highland and attractions around Fuji five lakes before heading back to Tokyo.
Many thanks in advance for your advice!
by Sue (guest)  

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/10 11:59
You need to take 2 buses, but this may be easiest if you are with children and big luggage. And cheapest
From Narita to Shinjuku (Shinjuku Express Bus Terminal).
https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/bus_stop/nrt/shinjuku/dep/279/...

From Shinjuku to Fuji-Q.
There are highway busses from other area but usually leave only in the morning.
From Shinjuku, there are buses leaving till at night.
http://shinjuku-busterminal.co.jp/en/
http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/1/#timetable

For example, if you leave Narita at 14:15 from Terminal 2, you will arrive at Shinjuku 16:15.
You can catch highway bus at 17:15, arrive Fuji-Q at 18:55.
I donft know how soon the bus ticket would be sold out, so this is just an example.

Hope this helps.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/11 09:05
As we are travelling with children and big luggage, what would be our next best/fastest option

Narita Airport to Kawaguchiko is a really long way (around 180km) and takes three hours driving or around four hours by train. Why would someone consider a taxi for that?

Another good option is to travel with smaller luggage.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/11 10:58
If you can get into Tokyo station by about 3, you'd be able to take the train changing at Otsuki and be there by maybe 6PM. It is more expensive than the bus, but a nice trip.

I agree on smaller luggage, we just managed 2 weeks with 2 carry on sized articles each and it made these sorts of trips a breeze, including the train from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/11 11:31
I travel with big suitcases. Unlike most people on this forum, I like to shop, and I specifically like to shop in Japan. We collect Japanese fashion dolls and we always bring back quite a few from Japan as well as sometimes play sets and other goodies. Next trip I want to buy a pair of Haruta penny loafers as I killed my last pair.

I personally takyuubin. There is a desk right at Narita and you can forward on any bags you'd like other than something small. It will arrive your second day. I generally takyuubin a lot. If I'm only going somewhere 2 nights, I might takyuubin things to my location for my 3rd night and bring a small overnight bag. It really depends on how many nights I plan to spend somewhere.

You can also just take a NEX to Tokyo Station (which does have luggage areas) and transfer to a bus to Kawaguchiko. http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/37/

The NEX should take about 1 hour. If you're going to be leaving from NRT within 14 days and are not buying a JR rail pass, JR East offers a discount NEX roundtrip. http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

It's 4000 yen round trip which is decently competitive, though not as cheap as the 1000 yen buses. You will have to walk around Tokyo Station a bit, but last time I was there, I saw an obvious gaijin information worker (I know my way around, but in case you need help, it looks like they have a lot more English than they once did) and honestly, outside of dealing with the Keiyo line, I just don't think Tokyo Station is that bad, but again I have used it a lot so I feel very comfortable there.

I personally like Tokyo Station as a place to get something to eat. We're picky eaters and my daughter loves T's Tan Tan ramen in Tokyo Station. I'm partial to some of the cute ridiculously expensive donuts and these chocolate and fruit cookies.

Good luck! :D
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 09:29
@rkold - on luggage, you have obviously found something that works for you and that is great. But I am sure you also see people with way too much luggage and monster sized bags that they cannot manage. A lot of people are not organised enough that they can do without the contents of their cases over-night, and as you say, you leave lots of space for shopping.

Also to back up your comment on Tokyo Station, I agree - it is not that complicated to find your way around and somewhere like Shinagawa that is often promoted as a "more simple to transfer" station almost has the same number of tracks and similar passenger volume.

For the OP, taking the 1:45 Narita Express to Tokyo (30 minutes to transfer), connecting to the 3:15 Kaiji, and then transfer at Otsuki gets you to Kawacuchiko by 5:45 p.m. The cost one way is Y6,910, but the trip is covered by the Tokyo Wide Pass (3-days) for 10,000 yen, so that would also cover your return to Tokyo.

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 10:14
@JapanCustomTours, I have seen people with crazy amounts of luggage as well, (I once saw an Australian family of 5 in Kyoto Station with at least two suitcases the same size as my daughter and they wanted to take those on a Kyoto bus. I advised them against this.) But I think it is important to note that there are people who go to Japan expressly to shop. I've also seen that as well. And quite honestly instead of taking huge suitcases on local buses where they don't belong, they should just use takyuubin or some other package delivery service. Last trip I think I forwarded my suitcases 3x total for a 2 1/2 week period. I am trying to figure out my next one as well to cut down on how many times I takyuubin. Usually I do: Narita to Kyoto, Kyoto to somewhere else I am staying 2-3 nights and want to do laundry, and finally that place to Tokyo. I find that works well for 2 week-2 1/2 weeks. If I break up my trip with two stays in Tokyo, and a night or two elsewhere, I will forward my suitcases to the airport or store them in Tokyo Station.

Technically, if OP plans well, they could do that as well. I believe you can reserve a spot in Tokyo Station ahead of time and if they do pack well, they could just bring a smaller bag for their 2 nights in Kawaguchiko. I mean a lot depends on if OP plans to spend time in Tokyo, how long they plan to spend and where they plan to stay and any other plans for their potential trip.

I am very biased, I really like Tokyo Station. It's my preferred area to stay.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 10:57
Take the NEX to Shinjuku and then a bus or train from there. There are multiple options to get to Kawaguchiko from Shinjuku that run well into the evening.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 11:23
Hi all,
Thank you for all your invaluable feedback and detailed instructions.
Yes, was thinking of using the luggage forwarding service as well to save us the hassle.
If I may seek advice on one more question not related to the transfer - is Christmas Eve considered a holiday since Dec 23 which falls on Sunday is the Emperor's birthday? I'm wondering if places like Tsukiji Outer Market and Ameyoko Shopping Street will be closed?
Thanks again!
by Sue (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 13:00
With the "Happy Monday" system, the 24th is a holiday, but you probably wouldn't notice.
Most of the holidays throughout the year are quite easy to miss - I tend to spot them because of the different mix of people on the trains, or there are extra people visiting places like museums/parks/galleries, otherwise many are simply like a normal non-holiday day. The exception is New Year when a few more things are closed.

Re: Late transfer from Narita to Fuji 2018/12/12 13:39
According to the Tsukiji outer market HP, Dec. 24th (and 30th) will be open.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: December the 24th (substitute holiday) 2018/12/12 15:01
With the "Happy Monday" system, the 24th is a holiday,

This is not a "Happy Monday" case.
So-called "Happy Monday" is a system to set a Monday, regardless of the date, to be a specific national holiday.
e.g. Respect for the Aged Day: the 3rd Monday in September.

December the 23rd is the real birthday of the Emperor, which is a national holiday (#).
In this year 2018, that day falls on a Sunday, so the following the 24th becomes a substitute holiday.
Many schoolchildren in Japan will be de facto during the winter vacation by the afternoon of Saturday, the 22nd.

On that extended weekend, depending on time zones, amusement parks, observatory decks of skyscrapers and Christmas festival events may be crowded.

In Japan, Christmas is celebrated mostly without a religious meaning (, except at Christian churches, needless to say).

(#) The Emperor is scheduled to abdicate on April the 30th in 2019, therefore 2018 is the last year when his birthday is a national holiday; February the 23rd is expected to be Emperor's Birthday from 2020.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread