Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage at ryokan 2018/12/16 03:16
Hi,
I have read some guidance on ryokan that it is better to not carry big luggage to ryokan as the staff would have to carry it around the ryokan and could damage the floor as well.

I usually travel with a medium suitcase in case I buy things, but have relied on either early morning trains or takkyubin when moving along the trip.

In case I go to a ryokan though I don't know where to store the suitcase over night. I assume coin lockers at train stations are emptied during the night.

My intention is to go to Takayama, if that helps.
by Quee (guest)  

Re: Luggage at ryokan 2018/12/16 08:11
Hi!
From what I understood, you are only carrying around a middle size luggage so it should be fine. If you really feel bad for the staff and for damaging the ground, just make sure you can carry it till your room without rolling and it should be fine. Once it is in your room, you can just put it on the side and it should not be a problem.
For the alternatives that you have, maybe invest in a smaller bag and ask them if you can keep this bigger one at the entrance. In your smaller bag, just put your personal belongings, clothes, maybe make up/cream for the time you stay there and that's about all you need.

I hope that this helped
by Easy Life Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage at ryokan 2018/12/16 09:58
All ryokan hotels I have stayed will bring the luggage to your room. One time in Kyushu, a skinny lady who showed me to my room also carried my heavy backpack (with no wheels). I told her that I will carry it, but she insisted and told me she does it all the time. When checking out call the front desk when you are ready, they will send somebody for the luggage.
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage at ryokan 2018/12/16 22:50
Well that is mostly what I want to avoid, having someone having to carry my big luggage around.

I feel a bit well.. bad, when I see the staff putting my luggage away at Toyoko Inn when checking in early.

How easy is it to find some overnight storage?
by Quee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread