Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 12:00
Hey, I'm traveling to Japan from Vietnam during early February for a very short trip (4 nights total) with my girlfriend.
I'm landing in Osaka at Kansai and then I was planning to go directly to Tokyo for two nights. After Tokyo, I plan to go to Kyoto for a night (or two nights and then to Kansai in the morning before the flight). While I'm in Kyoto I was also thinking of going to Nara for a day trip.

First, I'd like to know if the JR Pass for 7 days is worth it for my itinerary.
And second, is it easy getting from Kansai to Shin-Osaka and then onto the Shinkansen to Tokyo?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
by Yossi (guest)  

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 17:08
The general advice is that if you are doing the a round trip from Osaka to Tokyo & back or vice versa in a week then it's worth it. Especially as you can use it for most of your other transport needs during that time.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 17:14
Thinking about it, for four nights I would have to have a very good reason to go to Tokyo. If your bookings are not fixed I would consider just doing Osaka, Kyoto & Nara. It would be much more relaxed and cheaper. If you really wanted to ride the shinkansen then you could do a trip to Himeji

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 17:17
It evens out, as you are doing Kansai - Shin-osaka - Tokyo - Kyoto - Kansai within a 7-day period.
It is easy to go from Kansai - Shin-osaka then onto Tokyo.

The only question would be whether it is worth making the trip to Tokyo considering that you will be in Japan only for 4 nights. (If you go to Nara, then you'll have only one day in Kyoto.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 18:02
Yeah I wouldnt bother going to Tokyo in that timeframe, unless there was something you really want to see there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 18:04

You might want to consider cheap flights from KIX to Narita/ Narita to Kix to save some dough, and time?
Book a connecting flight the day you arrive at KIX:
https://booking.flypeach.com/en/flight_search
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 20:01
Thanks for the responses.

I understand that the trip to Tokyo seems a bit inconvenient. My original plan was to fly into Tokyo, but the prices were through the roof and at bad times. I'm willing to suck it up and make the trip by train because there are some things I really wanted to see there. My day-trip to Nara is still just an idea; it could be that I'll end up doing two days in just Kyoto instead.

Another question- does the JR Pass work for the Metro in Tokyo? And also for the Hakura Express from Kyoto to Kansai Airport?
by Yossi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/23 20:42
@Yossi. I thought that might be the case. To answer your other questions. The JR Pass does not cover the Tokyo Metro. You can get near to most places using the Yamanote line which IS covered. The JR Pass does cover the Haruka express to Kansai Airport. Have fun :)

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/24 01:49
I would not recommend going to Tokyo on such a short time frame. You are wasting about half a day just on the round trip, which is a huge percentage of a 4 day trip.

I would suggest finding alternatives in Osaka, which is a massive Japanese metro area on it's own and only 30-40 minutes from Kyoto.

What specifically did you want to see in Tokyo?
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/24 02:34
You can consider Japan bus pass 5 Day=12500 yen,cover Tokyo, Osaka
etc prefecture for Unlimited travel.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/24 08:35
Retrun trip Osaka to Tokyo is 24,600 yen with this deal:
https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/HPT2NVPT01NMS/?typecd=TOU&dep...

Also, there are other discounts that people can get. If would get the 21-day advance purchase fare and that is only 11,000 yen each way (10,000 yen on promotion).

For Kansai Airport to Tokyo return (with your other stops, simple is the 7-day pass, it will save you a little.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/24 11:47

return trip Osaka to Tokyo is 24,600 yen with this deal

Japan bus pass 5 Day=12500 yen

Just checked early Feb Peach Air ‰~8000 return is really good value.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it for a short trip? 2018/12/25 09:24
Train is faster and more convenient than flying. Bus wastes waaay to much time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread