Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/25 08:46
May I seek some understanding on the following which offers various route options.

The 8:02 train from Hamamatsucho to Ikebukuro (on Hyperdia) yields 1 direct option.
If I were to take the direct , no change option (Route 4, 31 mins), my question is how does one differentiate this train from the others that require transfers.

I will be travelling with a small rolling bag and hence the preference for a direct train.
I do understand the workings of the Yamanote loop but am just not sure how to tell the difference between a direct vs non direct.

Thanks
by grobea  

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/25 21:39
Both are on the JR Yamanote line, so there would be no transfer. They're almost on opposite sides of the "ring" that is the Yamanote. You'd eventually get there whichever direction you take, whether it's via Shinagawa/Shinjuku or Tokyo/Ueno. All other options require a transfer to another line or company and would not be recommended.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/25 21:43
Yes it's a bit confusing because there are two trains departing at the same time for the same destination (8:02 for Osaki). You want the inner loop one, so that's the one on track no. 2.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/25 21:44
If you're on the Yamanote line, pretty much all the trains in the clockwise direction between Hamamatsucho and Ikebukuro are direct trains. (And apparently the 8:02am train is direct.)

The solution to your problem is to use Google Maps, which is far less confusing than the poorly designed user interface for Hyperdia.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/25 21:45
If you are concerned about any possible misunderstanding concerning any result that shows a "possible" stop or transfer at Osaki, Osaki is considered the terminus of this "loop line" and unless you're talking about near-end-of-day trains, there is no need to get off at Osaki. The double downward triangles on Hyperdia mean you stay on the train. I've had a few instances where I had to get off at Osaki coming from Shinjuku late at night because, being the terminus, they were taking that train off service and I had to get off so I could take the following one on my way to Shinagawa. Just know that during the day, the Yamanote line operates in a loop in both directions and one doesn't have to get off for any other reason than to reach your destination.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/26 06:45
Many thanks to all responders. Much appreciated.
by grobea rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/26 09:54
Even if you got one of the few trains terminating at Osaki, wait a few minutes for the next one.

The solution to your problem is to use Google Maps, which is far less confusing than the poorly designed user interface for Hyperdia.
Don't always rely on Google maps. I rescued some tourists at Hamamatsucho a few months back because Google recommended they take the subway by using Daimon to get to Akihabara rather than the simple direct train. Even now a search suggested travelling to the station beyond and walking back one stop. Illogical and just plain wrong.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/26 12:17

Google Maps gives exactly the same information as Hyperdia (as it should): Yamanote inner loop, departure 8:02. You may prefer one interface to the other, but that's just your opinion.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/26 22:55
...Akihabara rather than the simple direct train. Even now a search suggested travelling to the station beyond and walking back one stop. Illogical and just plain wrong.

Neither illogical nor wrong, though perhaps counter-intuitive. The reason is that much of Akihabara (the actual town) is closer to Okachimachi Station than it is to Akihabara Station. And in fact the street address for Akihabara Station itself isn't even in Akihabara, it's in Soto-Kanda. If you do a Google Map search for "Akihabara Station" rather than just "Akihabara" of course it will take you directly to that JR station.

The main problem with Hyperdia is that you have to specify the stations you want to use before you can even use the search function, and most locations you're coming from or going to are somewhere between stations, so the best route may not be obvious. (For example the best route might involve walking 2 or 3 minutes extra, but taking only one train rather than transferring.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Hamamatsucho-ikebukuro 2018/12/27 01:08
No one point out that the train is in morning rush (peak) if it is a weekday?

Most of the trains operate on the Yamanote line with reference to the Osaki station with the yard.
Nearly all trains operating the main line during the morning and evening rush time zone (peak),
but at after the peak it returns to the yard a trains will occur at which Osaki station will end.

Moreover, there are many early patterns to switch to "JR Shonan Shinjuku Line"
where there are fewer stops trasfer at Osaki station in the section of this Q. (fare is same)
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e319.html
So if you do not want to transfer, change HyperDia search option settings, "time" to "transfer".
Google Maps is easy to understand because the route appears on the map,
but no such search option, always "fastest" route outs.

And, there are free app that display the congestion rate but only for Yamanote line.
https://youtu.be/4j_Ma_2_qQI
1:25 - 30 is so, all trains are 11 cars.
by Marian (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread