Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kurobe Gorge - Reaching Asohara Onsen Goya 2018/12/28 21:28
During my next trip I intent to stay some days in Kurobe Gorge and want to try to reach 阿曽原温泉小屋 at the end of it and maybe afterwards hike on the nearby mountains from there.

As watching from the pictures, routes and descriptions that i find, it looks kinda alpin to me and i guess i should have the prober mountaineering equipment.

The problem is: Due to weight and package size restrictions i hardly can bring all my gear with me from my home country.

So now my questions:
* is it possible to rent mountaineering equipment in this area (e.g. in Unazukionsen?)

* if not, do you think 阿曽原温泉小屋 is reachable with normal gear and good shoes (in case weather conditions are ok) or is it not recommended at all
** generally it seems to me that japanese people tend to overdress regarding their mountain-equipment (i often saw persons dressed like they want to conquer the mount Everest, even if they just hike up miyashima) - but since i dont know the area in this case, better ask you about your opinion
** i am very experienced mountaineer, but of course, there is nothing more stupid than a tourist that falls down some slope, because he doesnt dress correctly

* does anyone have recommendations on which mountains are the most nice in this area / or have some nice routes?
by Glimpigumpi  

Re: Kurobe Gorge - Reaching Asohara Onsen Goya 2018/12/29 08:40
I hope that someone with more knowledge can answer. Just out of curiosity I looked at the pictures on google maps, and some of the ways look like at least reasonable hiking equipment is needed.

Maybe you can travel wearing the hiking boots, which is probably the heaviest piece of equipment? Everything else, maybe you can just double use, e.g. use a jacket / trousers... that you could also use in other circumstances?

And yes, I agree, Japanese seem to overdress for hiking wanting to have the perfect equipment. Probably out of an adversion to risk taking (and having sufficient money to spend on the ideal equipment).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E9%98%BF%E6%9B%BD%E5%8E%9F%E6%B8%A9...

Enjoy your hike through Kurobe valley!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Gorge - Reaching Asohara Onsen Goya 2018/12/29 08:49
PS: After seeing now some videos, i am VERY sure that you need some proper mountain equipment :-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Gorge - Reaching Asohara Onsen Goya 2018/12/29 13:36
I want to stress I have not rented from them, and they mostly talk about Mt. Fuji but if you read the comments suggestion people post about other places like Kitayokodake and Yakushima.

https://www.yamarent.com/en

I also found this page which recommends other places to rent equipment.

https://www.garyjwolff.com/climbing-mt-fuji-page2.html#43

Hopefully if you need something in Japan this helps. :)
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread