Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary 20 days in March/April 2018/12/31 03:46
Hello everybody,
My wife and I are just planning our Japan holidays next year and have some questions about itinerary and rail pass. Except of short business trips its the first time in Japan So far our travel ideas:
Arrive at Kansai Airport pm on 16/03
From 17/03 to 23/03 we want to walk the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage
23/03 to 25/03 Stay in Osaka
25/03 to 28/03 Kyoto
29/03 to 01/04 Nagano (our son is a ski instructor in Nagano and will end his season so this is a must)
Until 05/04 Tokyo
We know that it is only 30min from Osaka to Kyoto but still think it might be nice to stay in both places. A traditional Ryokan in Kyoto is already reserved.
We are not sure if it makes sense to get the Railpass to travel Kyoto – Nagano – Tokyo or just buy the normal tickets. Moreover, we are not sure if we should spend somewhere more or less time. Any suggestions and comments to this itinerary are very welcome. Thanks already for your help!
by Rainer (guest)  

Re: Itinerary 20 days in March/April 2018/12/31 11:35
We are not sure if it makes sense to get the Railpass to travel Kyoto – Nagano – Tokyo or just buy the normal tickets.

There are two ways to do Kyoto – Nagano – Tokyo: Kyoto - Kanazawa - via Hokuriku Shinkansen - Nagano - Tokyo and Kyoto - via Tokaido Shinkansen - Tokyo - Nagano - Tokyo which will take almost the same time, but the former is around 20000 yen while the latter is around 29000 yen which is almost the same as the Japan Rail Pass 7 days.

Your traveling dates hit the cherry blossom season and normally it is good for Tokyo (1st to 5th April) but due to the weather the best days might come earlier. In that case you may want to see cherry blossom in Tokyo (Chidorigafuchi seems to be one of the best in Japan) on the way from Kyoto to Nagano. Well, personally I would buy Japan rail pass 7 days to keep flexibility though it might increase the train fare.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread