Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 05:57
I know I can use the card in each city I am wondering if I can use it to travel between cities? If so are there any restrictions? I plan on landing in Osaka and traveling to Kyoto.
by JamesA (guest)  

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 09:01
It is not possible to travel between disjoined IC card areas. The IC area around Tokyo (Suica by JR East) and the IC area around Nagoya (Toica by JR Central) are not joined. Therefore, you cannot travel between Tokyo and Western Japan by IC card.

Note that JR trains between Nagoya and Kyoto/Osaka cannot be taken for a similar reason. However, it is possible to get from Nagoya to Osaka and Kyoto by transferring from JR to Kintetsu at Nagoya and take Kintetsu into the Kansai Region.

The IC card validity is explained in more details here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 09:09
IC card Osaka to Kyoto - yes - easy, no problem. Same "region". Not sure why the above anwser just didn't say that - I've done it many times.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 12:27
Sorry, I misread Kyoto as Tokyo!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 13:40
@Uji - ahh, that makes a whole lot more sense now :P

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 15:03
Assuming that when you say "landing in Osaka" you actually mean landing in Kansai Airport, then while you can use a Suica to go to Kyoto, the Icoca & Haruka package will be cheaper, especially if you plan to use the Haruka. (Since you have a Suica, you will need to buy an Icoca, but you can return it since you won't need it )
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/3 22:51
Assuming that when you say "landing in Osaka" you actually mean landing in Kansai Airport, then while you can use a Suica to go to Kyoto, the Icoca & Haruka package will be cheaper, especially if you plan to use the Haruka. (Since you have a Suica, you will need to buy an Icoca, but you can return it since you won't need it )

I am confused by this are there restrictions on using the Suica card getting to Kyoto. Basically I am landing in Itami how do I get to Kyoto? This is the plan land in Itami >kyoto for 3 days > osaka for 1 day (hotel still in kyoto)> tokyo for 5 days.
by JamesA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/4 00:28
Access to Kyoto from ITM is discussed here: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html?aFROM=2158_2433

All the options mentioned are Suica-compatible.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use suica card to get from Osaka to Kyoto? 2019/1/4 10:28
Last time I visited Itami I did one direction by train (a bit tedious), and the return by bus to Kyoto (surprisingly pleasant).

reply to this thread