Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/3 18:40
Hi, I'm planning to a trip to Japan in End May (Me, my friend and his mum), and am considering between Fukuoka and Okinawa as part of the trip (To stay at 1 of these 2 places for around 3-5 days) (We will also be going to Osaka and Tokyo). We do not plan to do any water sports and might consider driving if needed (rarely drive usually) if the road condition is ok. What would be the better choice between these 2 options (Fukuoka Or Okinawa)? Any suggestions for places to go for these 2 areas? Thanks.
by KyleNhkhai  

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/4 12:31
I suggest reading up about those two areas and making a decision based on your interests, as those are completely different places. Also you seem to have quite a few days to spend...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/4 14:24
They are two completely different offerings as stated above.

But if you do not wanna drive around and you are not into watersports, it seems obvious that visiting Okinawa isn't for you.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/4 17:11
Okinawa has several different islands. From highly buildtup Okinawa itself to small relaxing subtropical islands.

I agree with PPs that you and your co-travelers need to decide. Just one point to take into consideration is the start of rainy season which comes from the South. May is a great month for traveling in Japan but not so much in the South, specially later part of May.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/6 05:48
As said, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Both cities have some good sights, and with Fukuoka, you could use a Wide Pass to go farther if you like.
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html
http://bit.ly/1KAm8cU

Driving in Okinawa is one of the places where it can make a lot of sense. Nearly 20 years ago I did a bus tour, which was not like the military boot camp that many others are infamous for. It did cover a number of very good places, and unique to Japan. Naturally, it did not cover some more scenic off the beaten path places, which I really have an interest in, so next time I'd rent the car. But at any rate, you could do quite well at either place. It is all up to what you want.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/6 09:34
One of my staff comes from Fukuoka and he doesn't recommend it as a destination, maybe because he lived there most his life (we normally only visit when the sumo is on). And, for Okinawa, you also have a flight to get these/back and that can add quite a lot of cost and travel time.
However, not knowing where else you are going and what you are interested in it is hard to advise. I tend to think of Okinawa as a beach destination where people don't do much. As others have said, depends on you reasons for visiting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/6 10:59
I'd take the word of anyone who grew up in a city saying there's nothing there with a few grains of salt, unless it is some podunk town. When you grow up in a place, the novelty wears off, and it is quite different from a first time visitor. Not to mention that there are many good places there that are not publicized, and even locals don't know them. Fukuoka is no Kyoto, that's for sure, but it has some very nice places if you just look. I lived there for many years, and sadly only discovered some of them after all that.
Nevertheless, Okinawa is just so unique and different, not to mention off most people's itineraries, that it makes a very nice place to visit, and not just the beaches - I can't wait to go again. The war history places are numerous, if you have some interest in that, Shuri Castle is naturally unlike anything else in Japan, and the Churaumi Aquarium is wonderful.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/6 21:09
Want something different?? Try the Yaeyama Islands which is the most Southern part of Japan. There is plenty to see, the weather will be warm and it's the most different part of Japan I have been to when looking at it culturally. There are flights from Osaka to Ishigaki and a few other cities as well. Use the ANA and JAL passes which will cut down on transport costs significantly.

On Fukuoka - it's a fine city but I don't see it as being "VERY DIFFERENT" compared to the other places you are visiting. I do however see Fukuoka as a gateway city to some interesting places in Kyushu such as Nagasaki or Saga prefecture. But then again - it really depends on what you want to do....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Fukuoka or Okinawa? 2019/1/7 16:23
@Ken, I tend to agree with you. Unfortunately I have only spent a very small amount of time in the Fukuoka, but pretty much every location I go to around Japan has something interesting or worthwhile to discover. I must ask him about the things they did when they took guests there back in November - it was a brief stop for the sumo, but I imagine they would have done more than just that.
One thing that I do want to do my next trip is sample more of the local style ramen and karage chicken.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread