Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 02:35
Hello,
as I am deciding the timing of my next visit of Tokyo (a week) and thought about June 2020, I wondered: What will it be like then, with all te preparation for the Olympics?
Will it be better to go another time?
(September 2018 is my second option.)
I will be staying in a hostel nearby Ryougoku Station and visit friends in Tokyo and Yokohama.
One friend living in Chuou-ku. Isn't that Olympic village area?
Thanks for helping me!
Jantje
by Jantje  

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 08:54
Probably a better idea than during the event. Plus, preparations have been running for a few years already - and will continue for the next eighteen months or so, you probably wouldn't notice them unless you were in a construction zone.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 09:13
It's a good idea to go before or after the Olympics if you want to avoid the crowd and premium cost. If you go before the event you may be able to buy all the Olympics-related souvenir. If you go after the event you may be able to buy them at discount, if there is any left.
by before or after (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 12:39
Both June and September are hot. June can get very hot in Tokyo - the later in June the hotter it gets. September is usually pretty hot but it can be drizzly as well which cools it down (or typhoon-ey). May or October are better, temperature wise.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 15:36
Depends on your definition of better. The few weeks before and after still will have Olympics events going on. Competitors and voluntees arrive early. It doesn't just get busy the day before the opening ceremony.

I'd only go close to the Olympics if you were interested in the Olympics. Otherwise watch it on tv at home, and travel another time.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 16:14
Don't forget there are two Olympic events being hosted.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 17:46
Hi,

thank you all!

Still a bit unsure.

My concern is: I like Tokyo to be like allways, not too much 'under construction'.
So where are those 'construction areas' and are they quite limited, or all around?!
If I walk from Sumida to Chuou-ku, or if I walk all along the Sumida river, or if I go to all the nice places within the Yamanoteline... Will I see construction work? Are all the parks open and beautiful as ever?

The warmth is the reason I want to go in June or September.
I will defintely not go during the Olympics, and I am not interested in souvenirs.
My second option will be another year. (Maybe this September but less convenient.)

Thank you so much again!

Jantje
by Jantje rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 17:51
Hakata14 what kind of events you mean? If I would first half of June 2020?
JapanCustomTours where are those construction zones?
Thanks!!!
Jantje

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 18:34
I believe JapanCustomTours is referring to the Olympics being followed by the Paralympics.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visit Tokyo before the Olympics: bad idea? 2019/1/5 18:56
Thank you!
I was referring to an earlier post:
"wouldn't notice them unless you were in a construction zone."
Wondering: where are those zones?
For instance liked to visit Imperial Palace area, but also there will be Olympic Activity...
So I am afraid things will be closed and made ugly by construction going on....
(Once visited Athens while the Acropolis was unther construction, bad timing indeed!)

reply to this thread