Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/6 03:19
Hi,

I am planning for a trip to Tokyo and can I know if a person can purchase 2 Tokyo Wide Area passes during same period of stay in Tokyo as I need to cover 5 days travelling.

Usage plan
Day 1 : Narita airport - Shinjuku
Day 2 : Shinjuku - Bōsō Peninsula, Chiba Prefecture - Shinjuku
Day 3 : Shinjuku - Kutsatsu onsen
Day 4 : Kutsatsu onsen - Shinjuku
Day 5 : Shinjuku - Hitachi seaside park - Shinjuku

Thank you.

Best regards
Jenova6
by Jenova6 (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/6 08:03
You can buy more than one pass, but the periods of service for each cannot overlap.

You also didn't go into detail about your arrival and schedule, but it does raise a question of why you are going all the way to Tokyo for Day 1 from Narita, and going part of the way back the following day. Perhaps seeing Chiba before going to Tokyo makes more sense.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/6 09:29
There is no point having them overlap. If you buy more than one pass at the same time and nominate the start date for one, the staff will check with you the start date for the second pass.

More important, for your schedule, does it even make sense to get the TWAP? Most of those trips are cheap and I think you would have trouble getting to 20,000 yen. Do the math - check the prices.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/6 09:47
There is no point having them overlap

That is obvious, but the rule is there so a person cannot travel with someone who is not qualified for one.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/6 22:44
Thank you Ken and Japan Custom Tour.

I prefer to minimise changing of hotels hence planning a day trip to Chiba (instead of going Chiba from Narita) and also have the flexibility to swop itinerary.

With your advice, I will calculate the fares and compare if it is economical to buy the passes.

Rgds
Jenova6
by Jenova6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/7 07:00
The JR East Nagano/Niigata pass covers all the areas of the Tokyo Wide Pass (except for Mt Fuji which is not on your schedule) for 5 days and costs less than 2 Tokyo Wide passes.

I haven't done the math to see if it works out to be a cheaper than just paying your fare. But it's a better deal than 2 tokyo passes.

If you go far into Chiba, keep in mind that the bus can actually be faster and cheaper. For example, direct Bus from Shinjuku to Tateyama is 1:45 long trip and costs 2600 yen. Express train is 2:10 and 4300 Yen.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/7 12:59
Thank you TW. This info really helps a lot. I did not compare with this pass which is cheaper overall and I can also travel on non consecutive days.

Will work out full plan and decide if this pass has cost saving for me.
by jenova6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Wide Area Pass 2019/1/7 16:38
@Ken, your point is correct. But there is nothing to stop someone visiting several different ticket offices and buying several passes that over-lap. As they are not personalised like the JRP there are circumstances where that can be a useful thing to do.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread