Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Camper camping in Japan. Route OK? 2019/1/10 15:23
• Night 1 Narita Hotel

• Night 2,3,4 Wakasu camping ( experience TOKYO ) Game 1 at YOKOHAMA

• Night 5 Travel 100km south to the coast at TATADOHAMA BEACH for one night ( Irouzaki Auto Camp ? )

• Night 6,7 Travel 100km north to visit Mt FUJI for 2 nights ( Camp KOUAN or KOYODAI or MOTOSUKO ? )

• Night 8 Travel 150km west towards Nagoya ( sleep 1 night on the way at HAMAMATSU ?)

• Night 9,10,11,12 Travel 120km further west to TOKONAME for 4 nights ( Game 2 in NAGOYA , take bullet train to KYOTO / HIROSHIMA )
(Camp at OKUBO KOEN or SHURAKUEN PARK or INUYAMA ( AICHI ) ? )

• Night 13,14 Travel back east towards SHIZUOKA ( 2 nights free ? )

• Night 15,16 Travel further east to SHIZUOKA for Game 3 (2 nights )
(Camp at ITOSHI or MOMOSAWA or SHIZUNAMI or BBQ IWATA or KUNOWAKI or TENTEKOMA or RYUYOKAIYO or DRAGON OCEAN PARK or SAZANAMI ?)

• Travel to Narita Airport

by Fransbrewis  

Re: Camper camping in Japan. Route OK? 2019/1/11 07:37
I gather you are hiring a campervan, and travelling as a supporter for South Africa in the RWC.
I'm not a camper, but have been to Izu peninsular and stayed near Tatadohama Beach, a beautiful part of Japan, and quite peaceful. We motored down from Tokyo, through Atami on the coastal road, via Ito, and even though it was a bit busy in places, it was picturesque, looking out to sea.
I've looked on the map and all of the areas you are heading for look very do-able in a vehicle, in your given times. If you can, hire an English GPS, if you don't speak Japanese. Japan has great infrastucture systems, even off the freeways and arterial routes.
The only word of concern is that September is still in the typhoon season, and if 2018 is anything to go by , there could be heavy rains, slips etc that close roads, especially in some of the mountainous areas, so I suggest you have a back up plan, if you cannot get to your campsites. Obviously the hotels around those stadiums are heavily booked even now.
I'm very sure you will just love your trip to Japan.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Camper camping in Japan. Route OK? 2019/1/11 15:08
Thank you for taking the time to comment. We are experiencing several challenges in contacting camp sites....but we do have some time still to go.

We cannot wait to experience Japan

Thank you

Frans
Cape Town
by Fransbrewis rate this post as useful

Re: Camper camping in Japan. Route OK? 2019/1/22 11:10
To add to your route planning or to help during the trip, I have 2 tips that made our camper van trip MUCH easier :

First, is to actually set the option to "Avoid Tolls" on Google Maps. It will increate the duration a bit, but in the other hand, you will save money from the expensive tolls and most importantly have the chance to discover hidden little treasures along the way.

On our trip we used :
- Google Maps - for navigation
- Michi Road Guide - for their offline maps and road stations(free for parking overnight) and onsens list, camp spots (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/michi-japan-road-guide-offline/id13810...)

Safe travels
by S. Shitoi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread