Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/12 23:16
Hi All,

I've recently just returned from Japan after my too many to count trip to Japan. At present, I've visited all prefectures in Japan but still have Kagoshima to visit in detail (I've already visited Kirishima, Izumi and Amami in this prefecture already). My hope is to complete one final trip to Japan in December/Jan 19/20 to finally complete my Japanese trips.

As such, I've got the following questions for you to answer if you feel like it....

Q1) Is there any major attractions in Shiga to visit apart from Hikone? I've travelled to Hikone and loved the place, but Shiga is the only other prefecture I have not given much love to but it seems to be mainly just Lake Biwako and rice fields after some study.

Q2) Are there any other art islands that are really worth visiting apart from Naoshima, Teshima or Inujima?

I'm trying to con myself into flying into Osaka instead of Fukuoka by finding things nearby which I have already missed - plus the flights are cheaper
by mfedley  

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/13 08:43
Nagahama castle
Nagahama rail museum
Tsukubusuma-Jinja Shrine on Chikubu Island
Canal rides at Hachiman (like Yamagawa)
Ishiyamadera
Miidera
Omi-jingu
Hiyoshi-Taisha Shrine
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/13 09:22
I'll second Tsukubusuma-Jinja Shrine on Chikubu Island - I really liked my visit there (years ago now).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/13 12:31
Sakushima Island in Aichi prefecture is a little known but pretty art island. I found it quite peaceful and quaint during a winter visit (apparently it's busier during the summer because it also has beaches).
Also, this year is the Setouchi Triennale, so there will be art objects on many other islands in Seto Inland Sea.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/13 13:18
I've not been, and maybe you already have, but Muro Art Forest in Nara-ken looks fascinating.

I have a grade schooler, so I admit, I've been thinking about going to the Koka Ninja sights this Summer.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/13 17:50
Re Shiga Prefecture:
- Miho Art museum , I havenft been but the photos look stunning
- Enryakuji https://www.hieizan.or.jp/ (maybe officially itfs in Kyoto Prefecture)

Here an itinerary (I am sure itfs safe for solo male travelers most of the time as well ;-)
https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/solo-female-travel/181114.html

I also found that Biwako is a great area for cycling. It has good infrastructure and is flat. If you are in some way interested in that you can get great sights of the lake and experience nature. I have only done from Maibara to Otsu. Ifd say the Maibara - Omihachiman part was best. Afterwards itfs often along major roads. But I really liked the slow travel along the shore.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-38-tokyo-to-maibara...

Regarding art. Itfs not an island and not in that region, but if you havenft been to the Echigo triennial in Niigata Prefecture, itfs superb.

Hope Kumamoto Prefecture was to your liking.

Enjoy!

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/14 23:08
Thanks for the info all.

It looks as though you might have given me an excuse to spend some time in Shiga prefecture.

Of particular interest is the island on Lake Biwa. To those who have visited - is 85 minutes long enough to visit the temple and shrine on the island as this is how much time is allocated on the two boats which leave each day.

And Likebike - I liked Kumamoto, but Aso is probably one of my highlights on Japan. The weather was great and looking at some of the lookouts where you can see the two volcanoes is pretty amazing (with the silver grass in winter)....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/15 03:53
Not an island, but another strong vote for the Echigo Yuzawa art area.
Staying at The House of Light is amazing if the weather is in your favour and you can have the roof open. Therefs also a really interesting looking Marina Abramovic house where you can stay the night (havenft stayed there - only read about it).
You need a car to explore the area, but the reward is that you are in a really rural and charming area with crazy modern art, onsens, local sake, great food, gorgeous countryside, and - when we were there, outside the bienniale period - no other tourists.
Plus, Echigo Yuzawa station has an awesome vending machine sake tasting bar!
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/15 16:13
My only problem is I'll be travelling in December/Jan which means that the place will be covered in snow (Niigata). I think??

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/16 12:51
I am inhabitants of Shiga.

It is my pleasure if you would indtroduce Shiga.

Other place whici was not listed up are
/Biwako terrace
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g298202-d15063072-Reviews...
/Enryaku ji
/HIyoshi shrine
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g298202-d1424443-Reviews-...
/Ougi Tanata
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/AttractionProductDetail-g298189-d11468719-E...

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/16 19:48
Thanks for the information Biwakoman. It's much appreciated. All the things you have mentioned apart from Enryaku ji (https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1078) and the Mochi making seems to be right up my alley.

From your experience, would you say it's best to catch trains or hire a car around Lake Biwako?

Also - if your aware of any other outstanding temples in Shiga I'd be happy to hear about them.

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/16 20:18
You probably know this info already, but here's a mailshot that arrived in my inbox today about Shiga Prefecture: https://japanbyjapan.com/blog/snow-ship-cruise-shiga?utm_source=JBYJED...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/16 22:59
Also - if your aware of any other outstanding temples in Shiga I'd be happy to hear about them.
Not sure if they qualify as Outstanding, but I liked the temple near Omihachiman on a hill right by the lake. The temple is kind of normal with a Pagode and everything but the walk up the hill on the old stairs is scenic.
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-39-omi-hachiman-to-...
And it has an onset right at itfs feet. Itfs not a super fancy onsen just your normal super sento typy thing, but with rotenburo unfortunately though without view of the lake. So if you time your hike up (not a real hike) good you can finish the day in hot water.

In Otsu I didnft dedicate sufficient time to Miidera. But itfs nice. Kind of your normal bigger temple complex.

Shortly before Otsu was an interesting architecture of a modern temple. I canft find any picture of it now in the internet. I donft think you can visit it (unless probably you convert). But maybe @Biwakoman knows it. My notes said gmu utopiah. Just good modern architecture.

And well then probably one of the few original German buildings in Japan (see pictures in my post) also on Otsu. If you want a break from gall the raw fishh you can have some sausages with chucrut :-)
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/17 10:02
From your experience, would you say it's best to catch trains or hire a car around Lake Biwako?

You had better hire a car as the movement by the train is inconvenient for Shiga.

/Keisoku-ji
/Eigen-ji
/Kyorinbo
These temples are beatiful in the autumn season.

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2019/1/18 10:59
Thanks for the info Likebike and Biwakonoman! I'm also happy to get the info about hiring a car which will make my life easier as I now know the best way of travelling around here. I'm normally adverse to driving in Honshu - specifically around Osaka and Kyoto.

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2020/1/1 16:48
Just wanted to thank everyone who made lots of suggestions about where to visit in Shiga prefecture. It is now one of my favorite places in Japan.

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2020/1/2 03:33
Sir,Welcome to shiga prefecture. This time we Foreigners want a Field report from Ritsumeikan university, Located both Kyoto prefecture and
Shiga prefecture. I also study in this university. Your field report or travel report tremendous helpful newcomers of Japan.
by Jesmin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiga Prefecture & Japan roundup ideas 2020/1/2 05:18
I'm very late to this party but if you like art islands, have you been to Nami Island in Korea? It is really nice there with amazing art especially in the little hotel which cost next to nothing to stay at.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread