Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 00:34
Hello everyone ! I need some advice.

I want to go to Japan and stay a bit there but can't find the right way to do it.
If I'm not wrong I can't get a working holiday visa from my country (Switzerland) and there is probably no way I can find a job there (I don't have a university bachelor or any work speciality and I'm not a native English speaker). I already made research and couldn't find anything.
Of course if I had the money I would just go there as a tourist for 90 days or even 180 days if they accept to extend it. But it wouldn't be fun if it was the case, right ! As you can guess I have a very low budget and wouldn't be able to live there for long.
Now you probably think "OK, so if you can't afford it, then just don't go" or "you should wait and save money before going". And you're probably right. But I have a kind of situation. I'm trapped and don't feel well and it's been a long time now that I can't get out of it. I thought that if I could go away by myself it would give me some help for a new start. I chose Japan because I have some interest in this country for many years and I already went there once. I feel like I need some kinf of adventure there.

So, if you have any idea about my situation, please help me ! :D
The problem is "how can I stay in Japan for very low cost" ?
I thought about sharehouse/flat but it costs and if I can't earn money I won't be able to pay for my whole stay. Then I thought about doing an exchange. I stay in the house/flat and instead of giving money (or for a small amount) I do some kind of work. Cleaning, grocery shopping, teaching language or whatever. But it's hard to find a place like that. I guess university students could be interested because it's a win-win situation in my opinion. "For those who can't go abroad, abroad is coming to them".

What do you think about my question ? Any possibility ? Or should I give up after all ?
Thanks for reading :)
by Black and White like Panda  

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 13:14
Coming to Japan, just to hope you can find a job is likely unsuccessful.
Especially if you do not have the right degree and have nothing to offer which is unique or specialized.
It would be better to plan your visit and find companies who may hire you for work and have a visa support.

Also finding an host family is often organized.
You can try to find on the internet if you can find people you can just drop at, but the change is slim.
You mention you cannot work but instead you will work, first rule of being a tourist no work, not even as a favor. This will be your own risk and if something happens you are not having an insurance to cover the damage.

There are websites you can try to find a place to stay, such as
https://www.couchsurfing.com/

Japan is one of the expensive countries, not only for living but also for traveling.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 13:43
Without a visa that allows you to work, any kind of work is illegal. That includes working in exchange for food or accommodation. Do not do this on a tourist visa.

If you don't have the money, don't go. You might feel trapped, but Japan is not the answer to your problems.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 14:49
That includes working in exchange for food or accommodation.

Citation needed. Yes, I know that there have been cases of people being arrested for that, but I don't know that they have been convicted.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 16:09
If you work illegal you will be deported, I think this a heavy penalty.
I do not think you want to be deported because you will have difficulties with entering other countries
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/17 18:37
No money. No trip.

Simple.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/18 12:50
Citation needed. Yes, I know that there have been cases of people being arrested for that, but I don't know that they have been convicted.
After being arrested, I don't think needing an actual conviction is necessarily very relevant - it's not like the authorities need to prosecute a case when they can just kick you out. A deportation or departure order would be sufficiently effective.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/12/national/crime-legal/hokk...
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/taikyo/qa.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/18 21:09
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/18 21:40
How small of a budget are we talking? Monthly mansions are available for very cheap compared to hotels, even the ones more geared towards foreigners. I rented a place in Fuchu (suburbs of Tokyo) a couple of years ago for 40,000 yen per month when I was trying to get my living situation in order. If youfre surviving financially in your home country, maybe you can put a little aside every month and aim to be in Japan in a year or two. If you donft mind cooking for yourself instead of eating out every day then 90 days in a monthly mansion is quite affordable.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/19 08:24
I'm not as pessimistic as some of the posters above. I admire that you are thinking outside the box as a partial remedy for your problems. As @LIZ says some of the monthly apartments outside of the metropolitan areas are not too expensive. You can google the AirBNB and VRBO places, and small studio apartments are available. Cooking your own meals are certainly the way to go. Walking doesn't cost. I've walked many miles in Japan, and its opened my mind and there is so much to see and think about. Of course you are going to have to cost it out first, as you cannot work. There is nothing to stop you coming as a tourist for 90days. This will certainly give you an eyesight into whether anything further is worth perusing, or whether Japan is to your liking.
Do you speak German? Have a little check on the Embassy site for both Switzerland or Germany, and see if anything seems to click. I think there is even a German school. You say you don't have a degree but have you years of experience. Only a thought.
by Kersy rate this post as useful

Re: Stay in Japan with very small budget 2019/1/19 14:02
Isn't there anywhere within the EU that you could go to "find yourself"? At least it would be legal for you to work and you could get hundreds of km from whatever is bothering you. EU has a very diverse membership of countries. Surely one of them has to appeal to you?
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread