Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/22 01:10
Hello folks,

Just doing some Japanese quizzes just now. Came across some, er, strange sentences. Hope someone can explain to me. Here goes:

山田さんは食事に (行き / 行った / 行く / 行こう) ところだったので、わたしも一緒に食堂に行ってゆうしょくを食べた。
Since Yamada just went to eat, I also went to the cafeteria together and ate dinner. I thought 行った should be the answer, but it was 行く。Shouldn't it be past tense? And while I understood this sentence, but the way it was written sounds weird to me, lol.

父はなんでも作れたんだ。戸棚が 1_____ 2_____ 3______ 4_______。
A. 父が
B. なら
C. 作ってくれた
D. 必要
Father can do anything. The closet...? Um, I can't imagine how to put なら and 必要 into this sentence. But 必要 is often at the end of a sentence to indicate an action is necessary, right? Unless it can also be an adjective as well. 必要なら父が作ってくれた?"If the closet is important, father made it for me." "Made"?

その事件のあと、彼は両親よりも自分のほうが 1_______ 2_______ 3_______ 4_______なった。
A. ように
B. らしい
C. 頭がいい
D. と思う
After that incident, he became something more than his parents. Not sure what the も after より is supposed to mean. The 方が is also in a strange position. My guess is ように頭がいいと思う。Why the hell is らしい is the middle of a sentence? I thought it is only used at the end, to indicate something was heard/seemed like. Unless it can be used before と思う。So, in that case, 頭がいいらしい と思うように? He thinks he is smarter than his parents?

Hope to hear you folks soon
Thanks. :D
by ALazyStudent (guest)  

Re: Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/22 12:43
行くところだ、
I am (the situation) to go.
行くところだった
I was (the situation) to go.

As it were,
行くところ = (the situation) to go.

I was (the situation) to go,
I suppose it's OK to say 行くところだったので

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/22 13:42
山田さんは食事に (行き / 行った / 行く / 行こう) ところだったので、わたしも一緒に食堂に行ってゆうしょくを食べた。
Since Yamada just went to eat, I also went to the cafeteria together and ate dinner. I thought 行った should be the answer, but it was 行く。Shouldn't it be past tense? And while I understood this sentence, but the way it was written sounds weird to me, lol.

[X Since Yamada just went to eat,
○Since Yamada was going to eat to cafeteria, [he hadn’t gone yet…]
If Yamada had already gone, you could not go together with him, you could only join him and eat together. ]

父はなんでも作れたんだ。戸棚が 1_____ 2_____ 3______ 4_______。
A. 父が
B. なら
C. 作ってくれた
D. 必要
Father can do anything. The closet...? Um, I can't imagine how to put なら and 必要 into this sentence. But 必要 is often at the end of a sentence to indicate an action is necessary, right? Unless it can also be an adjective as well. 必要なら父が作ってくれた?"If the closet is important, father made it for me." "Made"?

[○1必要 2なら 3父が 4作ってくれた。
[The important element of this sentence is なら. なら is a conditionnal form of だ (affirmative auxiliary). 必要 is a noun. If you put な after 必要, you have 必要な (なadjective). So an English translation would be “If I(we) needed a closet, he made one for me(us).”]

その事件のあと、彼は両親よりも自分のほうが 1_______ 2_______ 3_______ 4_______なった。
A. ように
B. らしい
C. 頭がいい
D. と思う
After that incident, he became something more than his parents. Not sure what the も after より is supposed to mean. The 方が is also in a strange position. My guess is ように頭がいいと思う。Why the hell is らしい is the middle of a sentence? I thought it is only used at the end, to indicate something was heard/seemed like. Unless it can be used before と思う。So, in that case, 頭がいいらしい と思うように? He thinks he is smarter than his parents?

[○1あたまがいい 2らしい 3と思う 4ように
You seem understand nothing of this sentence!!!
よりも is made of a comparative より and an emphatic も; よりも means a little more emphasized comparison than a simple より.
Your “ように頭がいいと思う” is a nonsense, meaningless.
らしい means a supposition, uncertain judgement.
ように(なる), when added to a plain non-past form of verb, means a gradual recognition of something.
So, an English translation would be “he became aware that he might be more intelligent than his parents.”]
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/22 13:52
Disclaimer; foreigner at N2 level.

For the sentence with the father, you have the right solution. Not sure what the question is, but yes you can say 必要なら it's quite common.

For the sentence 頭がいいらしい と思うように is correct, and the easiest way to know that it is correct is that you need にbefore なります。so ように must be the last word.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/22 16:40
--- 山田さんは食事に (行き / 行った / 行く / 行こう) ところだったので、わたしも一緒に食堂に行ってゆうしょくを食べた。
Since Yamada just went to eat, I also went to the cafeteria together and ate dinner. I thought 行った should be the answer, but it was 行く。Shouldn't it be past tense? And while I understood this sentence, but the way it was written sounds weird to me. ---

You've got most of the gist, but your translation/understanding of the sentence is a little off. 「一緒に / issho ni」 doesn't mean "also," it means "together."

That's why the correct answer here needs the present-tense form of the verb 行く / iku. If you were to use the past tense, 行った / itta, the sentence wouldn't make sense.
A.
「山田さんは食事に行くところだったので、わたしも一緒に食堂に行ってゆうしょくを食べた。」
「Because Yamada-san was just about to go eat, I went together with him to the cafeteria and ate dinner too.」
B.
「山田さんは食事に行ったところだったので、わたしも一緒に食堂に行ってゆうしょくを食べた。]
「Because Yamada-san had just gone to eat, I went together with him to the cafeteria and ate dinner too.」

The key point here is 「一緒に食堂に行って」, which means 「I went together with him to the cafeteria」. If he had already gone to the cafeteria by himself (like in sentence B), you wouldn't be able to "go together with him."

In order to make a logical sentence using 「山田さんは食事に行ったところだった」, you'd also have to change some things in the back-half of the sentence. For example, you could say:
「山田さんは食事に行ったところだったので、わたしも食堂に行って一緒にゆうしょくを食べた。]
「Because Yamada-san had just gone to eat, I went to the cafeteria too and ate dinner together with him [i.e. we met up at the cafeteria after going there separately」.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trying to translate sentences 2019/1/28 20:49
Ahah, looks like I misunderstood quite a bunch of things. Welp, gotta keep studying!

Thanks all for helping me out with this!
by Thanksalot (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread