Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 00:01
The plan is to land in Osaka and then rent a car. We will drive to NARA and UJI, both will sightsee in the day and stay the night, then make way for eastern Kyoto like Higashiyama. Will it be okay to drive in eastern kyoto without facing much trouble like traffic jam or lack of parking. After all this we will return the car in kyoto.

Or is it not even a good idea to drive to NARA and UJI?

by pokemoke  

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 12:37
Other than being slow, where are you going to park - parking is not especially cheap, and may not be near where you are going.
Feasible? yes. Practical/good idea? no.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 13:34
Traffic jams = yes
Parking spaces = low number
Parking cost = expensive
Walking distance from carpark to attactions = long

Seems weird to do this when all those sights have good public transport options. I see no benefit from hiring a car.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 13:50
The itinerary you suggested does not need a car. Trains will be way more convenient and overall faster. Now if instead you want to go to inner Nara Prefecture or Wakayama itfs a different story.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 15:40
Why would you do this
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/25 16:16
If you wish to visit rural Kyoto and Nara Prefecture, then a car makes a difference. However, if your going to visit Nara City and Uji then it's best to use public transport. I often find that in Kyoto and to some degree Nara it's faster to walk than to catch a taxi in the tourist areas...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is it feasible to drive? Nara/ east kyoto 2019/1/26 05:12
Why would they do this? (question posed above)
Because they come from a country that does not have reliable, cheap and efficient transport. I get inquiries all the time from people that have never experienced what Japan has to offer in terms of its transport system (they expect to travel around the country by car/bus/van and don't know how painfully slow it is). By the time many of my guests actually come to leave Japan they lament the fact they have to go back to comparatively terrible systems like the subway in New York (as an example) or the non-existant systems in many other parts of the world where cars are the default.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread