Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/25 04:35
I will be spending two weeks in Tokyo with my family in July. We don't really have any itinerary together, we don't want to have a whole schedule planned out, just a basic one. Anyways, I am not sure whether to buy the Pasmo card to the Suica. I know that they are NOT the same according to this website. Which would be the best to get if we know that we are going to explore all over Tokyo and will spend at least one full day in Kyoto? Also, if you have any suggestions for us to see or great tips that would be really appreciated. Thank you.
by zredge68  

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/25 12:03
They are roughly the same. I guess it's best put this way...buy the card from the first station you use. If it's a JR station, get a SUICA. If it's a Tokyo Metro, get a PASMO.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/25 12:24
The difference is obscure and unnoticeable by 99.9%+ of users. The ONLY time I found a difference was in Kanazawa a few years back in a store, otherwise I use them interchangeably (and I have many cards from around the country).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/25 18:19
i would basically resolve this by answering this simple question:
do you prefer pink or green?
:-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/25 23:18
I like pasmo, it has a train cartoon picture on it. Lol. Anyway, no differences between them.
by kaikaii88 rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/26 04:19
Do you like penguins?
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/26 21:24
ICOCA
by NJeroen rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/26 21:32
The person above doesn't understand how these cards are issued, so pay no attention. ICOCA is issued only by JR West, so unless you land in Osaka, Hiroshima or Fukuoka, the ICOCA won't be available to you until you get to that region.

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/26 22:14
The person above is implying that Icoca can be purchased in Fukuoka, which is wrong.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/26 22:30
If the ICOCA cards can be purchased at JR West Ticket Offices and JR West has a ticket office at Hakata (Fukuoka), I infer that one can buy an ICOCA at Hakata (Fukuoka).

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/27 03:14
Thank you everyone for all of your help! I am glad that it was explained what card belonged to which! You have helped me out a lot!
by zredge68 rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/27 03:35
One additional note... since you mentioned "family" if "family" means you have children, depending on your children's age you need to get them a Child Suica/Pasmo/Icoca card vs. a general one.

I got my IC card over a decade ago when JR East was offering a special design Suica+NEX ticket combo package similar to the ICOCA+Haruka ticket combo JR West is currently offering. But for my daughter I had to actually see someone at a manned ticket office to get her a a child Suica. (First trip she was free, but every trip since she has needed a child card.) It takes a bit longer and the card actually has her name on it, but it definitely saves money. Child fares are for children 6-11.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Pasmo or Suica pass - Which is best 2019/1/27 10:15
I think some missed the joke. ICOCA was suggested in sarcasm. As the cards are 99.9% the same, someone just threw another card into the mix.

The main difference between Suica and Pasmo. Suica has a refund processing fee of 220 yen. Pasmo does not. All other operations are 99% the same.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread