Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 10:40
Hi All,

I was just booking some flights and noticed the following website which seems to be new that allows us to download an app and book tickets for the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen in English.

https://smart-ex.jp/en/lp/app/?utm_source=skyscanner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sg&utm_term=031&utm_content=inline

Has anyone used this? When did it come out as I've not heard of it (yet!) but it is JR Central and JR West so it's not some dodgy website/app....
by mfedley  

Re: Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 17:20
The English version launched on 30 October, 2017.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 17:41
It's been running for a while, and a young Japanese relative uses it when he travels to his distant family's home. I've studied the system, but since I stay at a hotel instead of a home, I found it more reasonable and easier to book a JR Central skeleton package tour on-line. Some friends of mine did the same. I've also bought kaisuuken (multiple tickets) at the station or a kin-ken shop, depending on the style I travel.

So, I would say that if you often traveling alone without paying for accommodation, and you don't want to waste time going to a JR station near you, SmartEx can be a good option.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 17:57
Been around over a year.

Just link your credit card for payment.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 18:05
I use the local version for booking. It is extremely handy for business/frequent travellers who might have to book (or change booking) at the last minute. For me on the few occasions I've used it, it saved me the hassle of queuing up at the JR station ticket counter.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen booking app 2019/1/28 21:15
Guess I'm a bit behind on the ball with this one. It would have been helpful if it was available when I used to live in Japan but alas....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread