Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American Express Green Card 2019/1/28 13:05
Dear All friends and Members
Good day to you All ,

I just applied for AMEX Green card in Dec and i received it in Early Jan 2019
Can anyone advise , how can i make best use of this Card ,
Please note , i travel often , Domestically in Japan ( Fukuoka to Tokyo and Vise Versa ) , and i have around 3 travels per Year international , as i am Export manager ,

Should i order Family card ?
Should i order Priority Pass ? ( Normally i travel with Economy class ) , Also i book like two flights per year for my wife

Actually i discovered that AMEX is not 100% accepted such as Visa or Mastercard
Do you think it will be good Idea if i Apply for Visa card ? ( I have post Bank account ) but i do not have Visa or Master card from Post bank

Do you think Post Bank is good option to ask them for Issue Visa Card for me ?

Please note , i am Egyptian and Residence in Japan ( This is my 2nd year Living in Japan )

Your answers are always appreciated and thanks for everyone

Wish you all great day full of Joy and Pleasure
by Saba Man  

Re: American Express Green Card 2019/1/28 18:02
As far as I know:
- Visa and MasterCard have wider acceptance than Amex in Japan. Amex acceptance is OK in the US, but not widely accepted in Europe.
- Their fee to the shops is generally higher compared to Visa or MasterCard. And since now you have the card, you know that Amexfs annual fee must be higher than for Visa or MasterCard of the same class.
- People who travel a lot might benefit from Amex with things like: travel insurance (I believe the card comes with travel insurance even if you donft buy air tickets with it), probably airport lounge (depends on the exact card though), and some concierge service (hotel, restaurant, or golf links booking for example), quick lost & re-issuance service overseas (I heard).
I am not familiar with the exact services that come with it, so read the brochure that comes with it to find out about the benefits.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: American Express Green Card 2019/1/29 03:30
I have a AMEX card, but have not used it since Costco switched to VISA only.

If you do not have any VISA card, I think you should. As you wrote, VISA is more accepted than AMEX.

Plus, if you travel a lot (like I do) I encourage you to look for a card that does not charge foreign transaction fee. I (live in US) use Amazon VISA that does not charge annual fee and foreign transaction fee, and I don't travel without it. I read a while ago that Amazon was considering issuing similar card in Japan, but I don't know if that ever happened.
by kaado (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread