Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 01:12
Hi,

I'll be travelling with my bf for three weeks in March and we'll be staying a full week in Tokyo after we arrive. We want to buy a rail pass for at least two weeks but I'm doubting if it's worth it to get it for three weeks.. Any thoughts/suggestions for other passes?

Thanks in advance!
by Firefly20  

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 07:53
Nobody can answer this unless you have some itinerary. The passes are made for long-distance travel though (especially by bullet train), so you get very little benefit just by sticking around one city. You can make some plans and run it through this calculator:
http://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
If you travel enough to make a 14-day pass pay off, it does not take that much more travel to make the 21-day pass worthwhile - again, IF you are going long distance.
You should know however that people with very long trips tend to travel too slowly or too little in some cases, so a full JR Pass might not suit you at all - you can look at a series of regional rail passes or if very long distance with nothing you want to see along the way, flying can make sense too for some people.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html
http://ana.ms/20Xtf8t
The other question is if this trip is a once in a lifetime thing for you - if not, it'd be smarter to concentrate on one region and leave the rest for a future trip. If you spend all your time on the train, that is not having much of an enjoyable trip.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 09:16
It depends on where you go during your Tokyo stay.
If you plan to stay within Tokyo prefecture, then a JR Pass is probably not worth buying.
For travel within 23 Wards of Tokyo only, you may want to consider buying subway passes.
They come in 24/48/72 hour varieties, and you can buy more than one.
https://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/travel/index.html
I use it during most of my trips to Tokyo.

by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 10:02
Buy a pass for your itinerary; donft make an itinerary to fit your pass. There are many regional passes that may work much better than the national pass for much less cost. But you need to start with an itinerary. Tweak it as needed.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 10:23
I stayed in Tokyo for my recent trip, but I took day trips to Nagano and Nikko, which meant a JR Nagano/Niigata pass paid off for me.

What is your itinerary?
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 16:34
Yes, buy a 3 week green car pass...or alternatively spend 5 minutes working out the costs...your choice.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 18:24
Thanks for all your comments. The other two weeks we'll be travelling around a lot so the JR pass would be worthwhile. For the one week we'll stay in Tokyo and maybe take a trip to Mt. Fuji but that's it. So I think I'll take edokko101's advice and get the Subway pass. :)
by Firefly20 rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/8 18:31
As everyone said here, it depends on your itinerary. If during this week in Japan you don't travel on long journeys, then the pass won't be worth it. But if have in mind traveling on some day trips, then it could be a good option for your trip. The Japan Rail Pass offers you a big saving on transportation but you have to know that this is only true if you travel on long distances. For example, if you stay only in Tokyo for a week, then don't go for it. In that case, choose local transportation cards (such as Pasmo or Suica) or even single tickets. Maybe this basic guide about the pass will help you to decide and to see if it's what you really need: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/how-to-use-japan-rail-pass

by Emma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One week in Tokyo - rail pass worth it? 2019/2/9 08:50
Those subway passes restrict your travel and usually only offer small savings. Better is to save time (rather than money) to maximise your visit. It is (in my opinion) better to spend 100 yen more for an extra 30 minutes sightseeing than taking a tortuous route around the city.
For the national rail pass, for the 7-day variety you basically have to travel 1,000 km using the shinkansen before it starts to pay off - something like a Tokyo/Kyoto round trip. For the 14 day version, Tokyo/Hiroshima round trip. But for those types of journeys, the savings are still pretty marginal and it is the other "in-between" trips and uses that can add up.
For one of the trips we are doing in March we aren't bothering with the 14-day pass as the savings are not worth it for the inconvenience/restrictions. Also means our first leg Tokyo direct to Hiroshima is no transfers and a simple/quick 4-hours giving us the whole afternoon in the city.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread