Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can foreigners become voice actor in Japan? 2019/2/21 01:25
I am studying in college in my own country now.
I have visited a voice actor school and tried Afureko(アフレコ) once when I joined an exchange tour few years ago. It was really an unforgettable experience. I really wonder can foreigners become voice actor in Japan ?
If it is possible, I may go to Japan for voice actor school after I graduated from college.
Thank you.
by Kaetzchen1021  

Re: Can foreigners become voice actor in Japan? 2019/2/21 10:59
There is at least one foreign born voice actors working in Japan (speaking Japanese).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8euVfNRn0

I thought there are more, but could not find them on YouTube at the moment.

by A5 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can foreigners become voice actor in Japan? 2019/2/21 21:20
Being a Japanese national is not a necessity in voice acting. But having skills are.

If you don't speak fluent, accent-less Japanese, your roles must be limited to non-local characters with accents. On the other hand, as long as you speak fluent, accent-less Japanese, you can fake foreign accents. The same thing can be said about acting of any genre in any country. But at the moment, there are very few roles in Japan for which the character speaks in an accent.

Now, for any language, it is difficult to get rid of your accent after you become an adult. The Russian voice actress in the link provided by the other poster is a rarity, and in fact she is often interviewed because of that.

But you never know. You seem to be young. By the time you obtain a career, there may be more roles that require accents. Why not ask a school anyway? Needless to say, you need to be able to read all the kanji in the scripts.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread