Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/26 08:34
Hello
I have been living in Japan for 4 years under a spouse visa. Personal details mostly aside, Im thinking about divorce with my wife, but I would like to stay in Japan (I have a job here, and my son is Japanese)

I think I could try permanent resident, but my salary is on the low end which worries me. Tax situation is ok.

I read here before that the company can sponsor my visa, but i would still need a bachelorfs for this?

Thanks.
by Hnr26 (guest)  

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/26 12:29
While the official page doesn't mention actual requirements, there are other sites that usually say 10 years living in Japan is required. Three years for HSP but there are other qualification requirements.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/05.html
https://www.tokyoimmigration.jp/?p=167
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/26 12:35
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/26 12:41
If you can reach a good understanding with your wife, try to stick/keep your marriage and try apply for PR (based on your spouse status).

With that, your current income status will not have much effect, as long as you can show you fulfill your spouse status, being married, pay taxes and pension, PR chances are there.

If you change your status to work, correct me if I'm wrong, then your PR application clock/period will be reset to zero. You will then need to be 10 years on the said work status in order to apply for PR.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/26 15:45
by @.. (guest) always good advise and still the change exist that visa will be revoked if immigration find out that all is based on a lie.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/27 12:08
@JapanCustomTours thanks for replying.
I read on a couple of sites and also consulted through immigration lawyers that while married, for PR status, married 5 consequtive years is enouh to apply.

Nothing is based on a lie, I have a stable job but I got one after i moved here. I am father and I just never went to university.
by Hnr26 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce and PR eligibility 2019/2/27 12:42
That's 3 years, not 5 (must include 1 year of residing in Japan).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread