Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 08:40
Hi everyone hope you all. Be doing good I have a question I am a Pakistani married to a. Philippin women who is a permanent resident in Japan living here since 30 years if she not change her surname to my name Is it will effect my resident status updates or applying for permanent in future please your answer will be appreciated
by Spider (guest)  

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 15:19
Both of you are not Japanese citizen. So any name changes will need to be done at your respective country authority.

As for your resident status renewal, don't think the name changes will matter much.
You need to inform immigration, municipal, banks etc. with regards to name changes in order to keep everything in check.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 15:50
Arigatou guzaimashta I don't want to change my wife surname I just worried little that if we don't change the surname may be it effect my further process sometimes for resident status updates or next for permanent. My question is if we remain my wife name unchanged it will effect or it's doesn't matter
by Spider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 16:14
it doesn't matter, even both you have different names. As long as both of you are officially married, have proof, then everything is fine.

Getting a Spouse of PR and making renewal, the immigration will check your marriage status,adress, incomes etc. different surnames won't matter much as long as you can show you are married.

Talk to immigration people for better and more assurance answer.

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 18:25
Make sure that you have pictures of your marriage ceremony - even if you need to restage something. Plus photos of your life together. Also make sure that you both can give the same answers to common household questions - color of a counter top, brand of the TV, type of washing machine (door on top or front), etc., etc. If you are married and living together these answers will come naturally and different names wonft matter.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/1 18:52
Name does not matter. In many countries the act of taking a spouse name is a convention and accepted, but does not actually legally change the name. For example, my ex has a passport in her "married" name but could as easily have obtained it with her legal (unmarried) name. My sister keeps her name as that is important her career history and profession as a scientist/academic - the only time I heard her name was an issue (in the last 40 years) was with some ignorant people that addressed her incorrectly and a sexist car rental company that didn't believe a woman could be a "doctor".

Neither of you are Japanese so do not suffer the indignity of the Japanese expectations and requirements around names that have been challenged in the courts.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/2 13:25
Really millions of thanks to all of you for your kind replies appreciated kindly don't mind now I am ralx and clear about the surname but I have one more and last question when we was getting married here my wife got legal capacity to marriage from the embassy of phliphine and I got from my own embassy but the philiphine embassy give us the papers that after registering the marriage in city hall and getting your resident card from immigration need to report us this back but we didn't submit after the successful application and marriage but now I am worried is it OK? It's just normal or it's compulsory it will be problem in future by not sending them back the city hall marriage certificate and my resident card copy
by Spider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wife surname effect? 2019/3/2 15:40
Depends, some countries require their citizen to report their overseas/foreign register marriage in order to keep records, while others dont.

If not report now, but when you want to report later maybe they will penalise for late.
You both should check with your country requirement to avoid future complication.

And please use punctuation and paragraph.

reply to this thread