Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Medicine in Japan 2019/3/8 15:34
I know that for medical drugs and serious medicine there should be prescriptions and so on but what about normal painkillers? Can i take for example aspirin or something for the stomach? What about imodium and similar products?
Do i need a prescription for them because in my country we can buy these things without one? And is it a problem if the package is in another language ( i mean obviously i dont have a japanese pills and if they are not in english as well...) ?
Any information is appreciated,
Thank you in advance
by -Lynn (guest)  

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/9 07:10
Umm... sorry, I am not clear about your question. Do you want to bring those drugs (in small quantity) with you from your country to Japan? Or is the question if you can buy them in Japan without prescription?

Please clarify?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/9 08:01
If i can buy them from my country and bring them in Japan when i travel.
by -Lynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/9 16:33
Aspirin and the like is no problem.

Here the explanation:
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/0...
https://kouseikyoku.mhlw.go.jp/chugokushikoku/gyomu/bu_ka/iji/document...

Language should also not be a problem. If they really want to check, on the package should always be the chemical composition so they can check that way.

I am not buying drugs often, but I know from recent experience that you can buy ibuprofen OTC in Japan. So I am pretty sure that you could buy ASA as well. But agree with you that itfs easier to bring a bit with you for the occasional headache.

Enjoy your trip to Japan in good health!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/9 16:37
I always have a small quantity of Paracetomol (Tylenol) & Ibuprofen in my luggage when I travel and have never had a problem. I think the key is the quantity.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/9 20:07
The rules for importing pharmaceuticals are well-known. If you bring up to a one-month supply, you don't need to do anything special; otherwise you need a permit (called "yakkan shounmei"). It does not matter whether the drugs are prescription or OTC.

(Special rules apply to restricted substances like psychotropics or narcotics.)

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/0...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/10 00:59
It does not matter whether the drugs are prescription or OTC.

... In particular, many people mistakenly believe that if a drug is freely sold OTC in Japan, it means they can freely bring as much of it as they want as well. That is false; purchasing a drug in Japan and bringing it from abroad are different things, governed by different rules.

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/14 07:21
Bring your own Imodium, no issues with it with customs. You can get it in Japan but why use up your yen buying basic meds you can bring from home. Pack yourself a small first aid kit, creams, pills, plasters and put it in your luggage.
by Kersy rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/14 13:20
You can bring such simplistic things with you, just keep them in original package with instructions.

And if you have personal meds, I'd recommend you to bring a copy of your prescription along with its Japanese translation with you and your supplies. If you can contact your travel insurance and/or your health insurance company in advance, make sure that they know that you are bringing in that much supplies as well.

About Yakkan Shoumei mentioned above, my personal understanding is that it's for those who are gimportingh medications into Japan, and only when the medication has not been approved yet in Japan but is needed for a personal use (prescription required). Go here for general information: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/0...

And enjoy your trip!
by dianacap rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/14 14:12
Your "personal understanding" is incorrect.

Re: Medicine in Japan 2019/3/14 14:46
if a tourist brings medicines, that is an import.
you can ask (and get) some special exception to bring some medicines legally with no process of import, if you are a tourist.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread