Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/11 00:19
I have been married to my Japanese spouse for the last five years and we currently reside in the United States with our two children but intend to move to Japan next month.

I currently have a Spouse Visa and COE request submitted to Japan via our guarantor (her father) and I will be sending my family ahead of me on a one-way flight since they are Japanese passport holders. I'd like to know if it is possible to book a roundtrip flight on a 90 day tourist visa and change status if and when I receive an approved COE in Japan to remain in the country thereafter.

I'm not sure if this is a legal method or not but I want to be sure that I'm not in for any surprises if I proceed as planned. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
by USAtoJP  

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/11 13:23
You can either:
(1) Apply for a CoE, wait to receive an approved CoE in the States, and apply for a gspouse of Japanese nationalh visa at the Japanese Embassy in the States with the CoE, and enter Japan on that visa, or
(2) Enter Japan on a 90-day temporary visitor visa (you just come with your passport and you get the stamp in your passport, if you are a US citizen), then apply for a Change of Resident Status (once you are in Japan) from gtemporary visitorh to gspouse of Japanese national.h

In my view, if you take the trouble to apply for and wait to receive a COE outside the Japan but donft get the visa with it before entering Japan, that is sort of wasteful. So if you are going to wait for COE, I would go (1).

Please keep in mind the distinction between gvisah and gresident statush – visa is only for entry, and once you are in Japan you will have a resident status.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

@USAtoJP 2019/3/11 22:29
When did your father-in-law apply for those status papers and visa?

Did they inform him of the duration for the process?

Either way, you can visit Japan on 90 day tourist visa, while you are in Japan you can apply for a spouse visa and when it is ready (even after 90 days) you will be able to collect it (they sometimes offer tourist visa extensions for spouses of Japanese nationals) on your next visit (Your chances of getting it while you are in Japan are pretty good).

Good luck!
by SRJ rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 08:59
while you are in Japan you can apply for a spouse visa
As mention numerous time, please use the proper term and do not confuse.
Using the wrong term when dealing with immigration will lead you to different answer.

Visa and resident status are two different things, and it involve different procedure.
To simply put it, visa is something you apply from outside Japan, at your country Japanese embassy.
In Japan, you do either COE application (for supporting visa application), change of status, extension or renewal of status etc.

Refer to what 'by ... (guest)' said.

So as for what SRJ said, replace 'spouse visa' with 'change of status to spouse'.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 09:05
Thanks for all the feedback. My spouse visa and COE application were mailed off last month. My father-in-law took the COE application to be filed a week and a half ago and I don't arrive in country until April 12th.
by USAtoJP rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 09:23
My spouse visa and COE application were mailed off

Spouse visa in Japan ? What do you mean by that?
If you read "by ... (guest)" , you know that it doesn't work that way.
As mentioned earlier you won't be able to do Spouse Visa in Japan.

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 09:24
I'll be doing a request for change of status after I receive a COE. Or is that no possible?
by USAtoJP rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 11:05
Normally not preferred way of doing by the immigration but a lot people do it,
and the success rate is quite good.

However, due note that every situation is different.

Get your term correct, all relevant documents ready and hope for the best.
You may have to reason with immigration in order to get them to accept your application.
You'll be given extension on your temporary visitor once your change of status application is accepted.

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/3/12 11:50
I'll be doing a request for change of status after I receive a COE.

If you'll be applying for a change of status, a CoE is not required, so the CoE application can be cancelled, that will save everyone's time.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/4/4 03:16
Can you change your status of residence if your wife does not work in Japan but is Japanese? Her mother (Japanese, working in Japan) was going to file for the COE on our behalf. I need to know if it is uneccesary and I should just go on a visitors visa and file for a change of status of residence. We have been married for almost 2 years and have a son. We all live together in Ghana and want to emigrate to Japan. I need to know if we can use her mother for the guarantor and tax aspect. ( if that is even necessary with change of status of residence). Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
by Andre (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread