Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 13:04
Hi, I'm already 23 yrs old. I was born here in the Philippines .My dad is a Japanese and my mom is a Filipina. They didn't get married although he signed my birth certificate here in the Philippines. I would like to know if I can still get a dual citizenship.

Thank you so much!
by Anna Mariko Calanda (guest)  

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 13:12
You can no longer obtain Japanese citizenship by virtue of your father being Japanese (under Art. 3 of the Nationality Law), as you can only do so before turning 20.

You can apply for naturalisation under the same conditions as everyone else.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 13:14
I've read that I need to live for 5 years in Japan for that. Is there a specific visa I need to apply for that?
by Anna Mariko Calanda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 13:18
You could in principle obtain a "Nikkeijin" visa, but there may be additional requirements (for example you could have to demonstrate that you would be able to make a living in Japan).

Ask the Japanese embassy in the Philippines for more details.

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 16:47
Japan does not allow dual citizenship after the age of 22. If you obtain Japanese citizenship, you have to denounce your other citizenship(s).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 16:53
If you obtain Japanese citizenship, you hav to denounce your other citizenship(s).

Nope. You have to endeavor to renounce your other citizenship (s).

Re: How do I get a dual citizenship? 2019/3/14 17:03
Oh, and also, even if you are going to ignore the "endeavor to" part, if one naturalises after turning 20, one must renounce one's other citizenship(s) within two years from the date of naturalisation, so one can legally be a dual citizen after turning 22, if only for some time.

reply to this thread