Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 00:02
Hi! My family just went to Japan for the second time we just LOVE it there. My daughter even said she wants to study and live there. So I was thinking maybe she can go to senior high school there. After a bit of research, it is possible to be an international student in Japan. I do want to live with her there with my husband. Is it possible? Do I need to enroll to be a student myself (to study the launguage maybe?) Or they will allow me to accompany her? If I can just accompany her, how long can I stay? Up to 3 month or more?
I can take my work anywhere so I can still work while living there.

Is there anyone who has moved to Japan with their family?

Thanks in advance
by Viarta (guest)  

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 10:33
What is your nationality? But to be frank, Japan is not a destination one can just go to live. Youfll need a visa to enter and to stay. For which visa will you be applying?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 11:46
Note that senior high school is not part of compulsory education in Japan, and thus Japanese schools have no obligation to admit your daughter. Therefore the first thing to do, since apparently the main purpose of the enterprise is for your daughter to attend high school, is to find a school that will be willing to admit her.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 12:27
Disagree slightly with the above. The first thing you should do if you are dead serious about moving to Japan is find a route to a legal residency status. Enrolling in a language school would be one way to do it but there are strict requirements about attendance. Finding a job in Japan might be another way to legally immigrate. I donft think anyone is just going to let you come in on a 90 day visa waiver, enrol your kid in school and then leave her behind after a few months though. Immigration issues aside, does your daughter even speak Japanese? Would she be able to navigate school and daily life in a country where the vast majority of people simply cannot hold a conversation in English or any language other than Japanese?

The easiest way? Wait until your daughter is an adult so she can go and study at a language school by herself.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 12:58
The above completely misses the point. The reason why OP wants to move to Japan is to accompany their daughter who wishes to attend high school. If OP looks into getting a visa first, and then the daughter can't find a school, then this will just be a waste of time.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 16:06
Applicants need to have completed nine years of school either in Japan or abroad, must be registered as a foreign national living with a parent in Tokyo at the time of application, and the school entry date must be within three years after their arrival in Japan. Private schoolsf entrance requirements for foreign students tend to be about the same.
Taken from : https://savvytokyo.com/10-japanese-high-schools-accept-foreign-students/

Chicken and egg.

If you read the above in bold, it shows that you need to be a resident in Japan.
Best is to contact directly with the school and check for the requirement,guidance.

Another way is to do an exchange student program at HS.
https://savvytokyo.com/5-high-school-organizations-offering-japan-youth-exchange-programs/

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 16:28
The PPs are right. Japan has a strict visa program.

Assuming that you are from a visa waiver country you and your daughter can come for 3 or for some nationalities even 6 months , as a tourist. On a tourist visa you canNOT work, but you can attend a language school. Or just simply be a tourist. However I think most language schools only admit students above 18 or so and having finished school.

An possible alternative is to search for a school in your home country that has a student exchange program with a school in Japan. This does exist and would be the easiest way to get your daughter for some time into senior Highschool in Japan. You couldnft accompany her all the time (and thatfs not the purpose of an exchange student year anyway) but you can visit her on a tourist visa.

If you two want to life longer time in Japan you both need a proper visa. This could be a student visa, eg if your daughter has finished school in your country and enrolls in an English teaching university in Japan or into a language school. If you want to accompany her, you would either also need to become a student and get a student visa (if you do so you MUST very regularly attend school). Or you could come for 3 months as a tourist (remember no WORKING) then leave and return after a few weeks/months for a second stay as a tourist.

Alternatively you could find a job in Japan now, apply for the appropriate visa (eg a job as English teacher ) if you have the qualifications to get such a job AND the visa. Your daughter then should be able to get a dependent visa. Although this might depend on your income. And you canft use your income from your home office work, because you donft have a work permit for it. Then the problem remains to what school youfd enroll your daughter: Japanese schools are strictly in Japanese and from your line of question I doubt that your daughter is fluent in Japanese. So itfs going to be an international school which are expensive. From a salary of an English teacher you could not reasonably pay for it. If you can get a better paid job , then that could be a viable option.

So all in all it would seem more easy as PPs said to finish school in your home country. Come to Japan during that time as a tourist as often as you want and then have your daughter enroll in either language school or university in Japan. Shefll need a student visa for that, but the requirements for a student visa are not extremely complicated. You need to demonstrate that you have money for school and life. And to maintain the student residence status she needs to very regularly attend school.
At that point your daughter will also be old enough to make this experience alone. I.e. you can visit her on a tourist visa but you donft need to get your own residence visa for Japan.

You can google all the different visa categories and their requirements.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/17 17:47
It would be much easier on all if you just applied for one of those 6 month school exchange programs.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying and moving to Japan 2019/3/18 08:13
Wow all great advice. Thanks!
Yeah she can't speak Japanese so it would have to be international school. But yeah it would be very expensive. I'll be digging into that student exchange program. Sounds much easier.

To answer earlier response, we're Indonesian.
by Viarta (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread