Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Want my boyfriend to live with me 2019/3/22 15:52
I'm a I'm a queer japanese national and I have a boyfriend who lives in Norway

We both decided that we both want to live together here in Japan. Is there a way he can stay with me for a long period of time? Also he doesn't know how to speak Japanese but I'm sure he'll eventually learn it, (I'll be his teacher) and his thick Norwegian accent might not be good for English teaching jobs but can fluently speak Norwegian

He only ever worked in retail and services, Gaijinpot doesn't yield good result in that field, do you know of any websites that I can look for simple jobs (Like working in 7/11)

Please help me
by Marazhu  

Re: Want my boyfriend to live with me 2019/3/23 15:28
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/japan101/visas-and-status-of-residence/

1st you need to understand and check what visa option is available for your Norway friend. Read above.

From the look at it 2 best temporary 'long term'option will be Student visa or Working visa.

Student visa, signup at any Japanese language school for 1-2years. Can work p/time 28 hrs per week or 40hrs during vacation.

Working holiday, max 1 year, can work any jobs as long not in 'mizushobai'.

Both of you can use those time frame to workout your future, friend get to brush up the language, find better employment and secure better visa/status option.

In the news today, maybe something to think about.
https://japantoday.com/category/national/update1-gay-taiwanese-granted...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Want my boyfriend to live with me 2019/3/24 11:35
For same-sex couples, the immigration authorities seem to allow the spouse to stay with the partner on the condition that they are already married in another country where same-sex marriages are officially acknowledged. Even that doesnft come automatically but on a case-by-case basis.

Considering that your partner only has retail experience and not eligible for English-teaching positions (does he have bachelorfs degree?), he is likely to find it difficult to find any work on his own immediately.

For non-Japanese to work gsimpleh jobs like convenience stores, hefd need to have a separate resident status, such as gstudent,h which allows up to 28 hours/week part-time work. Partner teaching the language can be difficult – if you are not trained as a Japanese language teacher, you will find out, explaining things you use on a daily basis without thinking is quite challengingc so I might suggest going this gstudenth path for the time being. While he studies the language, the two of you might think more about whether Japan is the right place for the two of you. Japan is not an gimmigranth country, and while the situation surrounding LGBT has been changing, it will take a long time. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread