Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/22 20:28
As stated above, I have received my certificate of eligibility whilst on my tourist visa. As the immigration officer told me the wrong forum and not the change of status I filled out the coe. Does this mean I have to start all over, or if I submit the change of status with my coe will it be processed faster?

Thanks guys.
by Robert Lovell (guest)  

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/23 14:18
if I submit the change of status with my coe will it be processed faster?

Maybe. Maybe not.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/24 07:43
Processing a change of status is certainly faster with a CoE than without (technically you could apply for the change without a CoE but I don't know of anyone that does).
And I received my CoE while in Japan - depends on individual circumstances - certainly no problem/issue with that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/24 07:56
Thanks for the response, how long did it take you roughly to change?
by Arisa Lovell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/24 09:30
technically you could apply for the change without a CoE but I don't know of anyone that does

Are you sure about that? You might want to rephrase that again.

Change of status (in Japan) are normally done without COE.

Change of status (in Japan) with COE sometimes occur, especially those with temp. visitor, who got their COE (initially intend to apply visa at their country) while they were in Japan.

COE is mainly a supporting document when you apply visa through embassy.

Having COE with Change of Status may or may not expedite your application, since it may help with initial background checking, thus skipping few steps.

Or you may got an immigration officer that won't accept your change of status application, insist you to return to your country and proceed with normal visa+COE application at the embassy.

So you better have good explanation to do to convince them, got all other documents ready.

Again, as other have said, Change of Status is faster, can be within 1 week, 2 weeks or who knows.

Note that if your Change of Status application is accepted, your temp. visitor expiration will be extended to 2 months or until your change of status is decided.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/25 09:20
Thanks guys, the guys at the toyama branch are so helpful, since it wasn't the weekend I could call and they said they could process it on the spot. It helps cause I already have a japanese mobile phone contract and other necessities all prepared.

Just need new photo, passport wife and her inkan signature and 4000 yen!

Thanks guys.
P. S the guys at the nagano main centre are super strict.
Also I had left the country and came back while the coe was being processed for those who were wondering
by Arisa Lovell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/25 09:33
Are you sure about that? You might want to rephrase that again.
It is simply my personal experience - I went through the CoE process here in Japan, and when researching the visa process there were a few options available. The advice I gained from my local embassy before arriving in Japan (which was not very good in general) was that the CoE was optional, but would allow the grant of a visa more quickly. Once in Japan and going through the different steps I needed to take I was advised by my lawyer that the CoE/visa process would be around three months, mine took five weeks.
And, I do not personally know anyone that has applied for a status of residence for Japan (visa) without going down the CoE route.

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/25 09:35
As a second leg, I did a subsequent change of status where I did not need a CoE - the difference being the initial versus subsequent change. I was referring to initial grant of a resident status.

Re: Received Coe whilst inside Japan 2019/3/25 10:19
all those troubles come from the wrong word usage of "visa" by applicants .
if you want to have a spouse "visa", you have to have a COE. and have to apply the visa from outside of Japan.
they just explained and answered correctly all the time.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread