Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/24 15:34
Im looking to move to Japan and get a job over there on the Railway maintenance side of things.

My current qualifications include an NVQ Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Mechanical And Electrical Engineering on Railway Rolling Stock. I have over 10 Years experience on rolling stock. Currently working as a Senior Technician with my current company.

Any help would be appreciated :)
by Bokkusu (guest)  

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/24 17:10
I can easily guess all the documents for maintenance are written in Japanese. Are you at a native level in Japanese?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/24 19:00
You would need to read and speak near perfect Japanese since you are dealing with safety critical technical equipment.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/24 19:37
I met a guy once who was no where fluent in Japanese but he was working in railway CONSULTING. I.e. he works for a company in Japan that oversees the construction of the gShinkansen g in India. He wasnft even Indian himself, I think he was Egyptian or so. He obviously was frequently on business trips to India.

So itfs not entirely impossible to work in Japan in a railway company, but for railway maintenance in Japan, I agree with PPs.

Obviously if you are fully fluent in Japanese thatfs a different story.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/25 01:51
Additionally, I can hardly imagine that this is something the government is looking to import new labour for. Even if you landed a job you may struggle with visa issues.

You are not going to go anywhere in this field on a working holiday visa, and definitely not working 28 hours a week as a student.

In other words, marrying a Japanese national may be your only realistic route in.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/25 08:51
@LIZ,

Not really true, even marring a Japanese citizen is not realistic and does not guarantee any position.
Even if you are married with a Japanese citizen you are excluded from curtain jobs in Japan.

My brother in law works for JR and the foreigners working at JR, are born in Japan, have Native Japanese skills, work on international projects or cleaning.
Maintenance, even for just simple tasks you have to go through a training within JR.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a railway job in Japan? 2019/3/25 17:38
Didnft say anything about guaranteeing a job. Just that they would stand a better chance if they were in country on a residency status that allowed them to work.

Thatfs just a fact.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread