Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I bring my (small) bird with me to Japan? 2019/3/31 10:23
I will be living in Japan near the end of this year, and I was curious about pet policies. There's a lot of information about cats and dogs, but not so much about exotics. I have a small parrot (Green Cheek Conure) that I will be bringing with me. Where I live now, I don't get even get charged for having the bird, and the landlord says I can have as many caged animals as I want with no additional charge. So, are apartments friendly to letting birds stay, and does it cost a lot to have them?
by Jlp123  

Re: Can I bring my (small) bird with me to Japan? 2019/3/31 17:53
It looks like parakeets and the like don't have to go through quarantine procedures, first of all. You'd need to check with the airline for bringing him onboard.

Apartments: still you need to tell the landlords/estate agents that you will have a small pet bird, which is usually accepted unless they decide to be picky. (I don't know how loud they can be though.) you will have to look for a short term rental initially, or find an apartment ahead of arrival, as hotels are unlikely to admit pets in their rooms.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring my (small) bird with me to Japan? 2019/4/1 07:16
Typically, landlords in Japan do not allow pets - at most you could have a plant and a goldfish. Extremely few people bring birds, so there is very little documentation on it. That doesn't mean it's OK - either with the landlord or the airline. You'll find little on rabbits as well - it doesn't mean that there are no regulations on them.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/importanimal/index.html

You should check with your future landlord, the Japanese government, and airline well ahead of time to avoid any massive headaches.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring my (small) bird with me to Japan? 2019/4/1 20:24
My ex is at a UR apartment and birds seem ok (cats and dogs not) - depends on the rental.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring my (small) bird with me to Japan? 2019/4/2 06:30
Thank you all for the responses!
by Jlp123 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread