Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/10 02:13
Hello,

I am interested in moving to Japan (i am an American citizen). I want to be able to support myself, but would like to live minimally. Is it possible to obtain a work visa to Japan, but only work parttime? If not, what other ways do you all recommend that will maximize my time outside of work/school?

I am a credentialed teacher, and i hope to obtain my Master's Degree (but in Education) prior to moving to Japan.

Thank you in advance for any help!
by bobblo (guest)  

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/10 14:02
You need to work enough to be able to make a living (by immigration's judgment, not yours).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/10 14:24
Can I move to America with minimum work and get a visa?
I do not think this would be possible.

And as above mentioned immigration has some rules
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/10 15:18
Is it possible to obtain a work visa to Japan, but only work parttime?
It doesn't work that way. There are NO work visa, it doesn't exist. There are visas which allow people to work, like instructor visa, engineer visa, international services visa...

You need a company that will sponsor your visa, Japanese immigration will never give you a visa for a part-time job. BTW, it also work that way in your very own country, shocking huh...?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/10 18:34
Sounds like you need to come over on a student visa (maybe language school
) and work a maximum of 28 hours, after you get permission to work.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/11 03:06
Thank you for the replies. If i work under a student visa, can i do freelance tutoring? Or must i get sponsored by a company in order to do the tutoring?
by bobblo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/11 09:17
On a student visa you can do freelance work, up to 28 hours a week.
But you need to enroll a language school.

But you need to confirm with the language school because they also have rules concerning work, because the main reason to enroll the school is to study and not for work.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/11 10:43
If you live in Japan on gstudenth status, that means your main objective of staying here is to study, so you are expected to keep good attendance and good grades at a full-time course. Part-time work is to help the students supplement their living expenses/tuition. Up to 28 hours/week of work is allowed.

If you want one of the work-allowing visas (the type depends on exactly what you want to do) to stay in Japan, that is when you need sponsorship from an employer, usually accompanied by full-time work at that employer :) there are some requirements for you to meet (in terms of qualification for that particular job), and some others for the employer to meet (type of work they want you for, and the salary, etc.).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Minimum amount of work to get a visa 2019/4/11 10:53
Immigration is more concerned more with how much money you earn, and how much tax you pay rather than how many hours you work... It is possible to to get a work visa and live minimally, however you run the risk that your visa may not be renewed, so if you only want to stay for a year or so, then go for it.
by dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread