Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo and Kansai region during Golden Week 2019/4/12 19:43
Hello all,

First time travelling to Japan, as a couple. We're a little worried that we will run into some difficulties while travelling during Golden Week. If anyone with a bit more experience can have a look at our itinerary and can reassure us either way, I'd be most grateful!
Our schedule is pretty much set, since we've already booked our accommodations in Tokyo and Kyoto.
We've also gotten us a 7-day JR Pass.

Monday April 22nd - Friday April 26th: Tokyo
- arrival at Haneda airport around 1:30 PM on the 22nd
- travel by Shinkansen to Kyoto on the 26th, roughly around 10-11 AM

Friday April 26th - Wednesday May 1st: Kyoto
- arrival on the 26th in the afternoon
- includes a day-trip to Osaka
- includes a day-trip to Nara

Wednesday May 1st - Saturday May 4th: back in Tokyo
- travel by Shinkansen to Tokyo towards the end of the morning
- spend two and a half days back in Tokyo before flying back home, our flight is on the 4th in the early morning

My main worry is: will we still be able to reserve Shinkansen seats for our return trip to and from Kyoto (April 26th, May 1st)?
I have planned to exchange our JR Pass voucher on the day of arrival (April 22nd), reserve our seats immediately (and have the activation date set to April 26th)
Also, does this itinerary sound doable or is it too ambitious?

Thanks!
by Giera  

Re: Tokyo and Kansai region during Golden Week 2019/4/13 07:30
My main worry is: will we still be able to reserve Shinkansen seats for our return trip to and from Kyoto (April 26th, May 1st)?
I have planned to exchange our JR Pass voucher on the day of arrival (April 22nd), reserve our seats immediately (and have the activation date set to April 26th)

I can't say for sure, but as I checked through Cyberstation

http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp

there are substantial vacant seats on Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto, on 26th midday although there are no on 27th. As for return trip on 1st May, there are also many vacant seats available for Kyoto to Tokyo. Of course this situation may change after some 10 days.

If there is a long queue at the airport JR booth, you might better go to central Tokyo first and then exchange the voucher and make reservations at less crowded booth.

Also, does this itinerary sound doable or is it too ambitious?

Your itinerary seems good to me. You may consider going to Himeji to see the castle, since it will be crowded in "Golden week" and 26th is out of it.

Enjoy your trip in Japan!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Kansai region during Golden Week 2019/4/13 21:02
Thank you!

Sounds good, I do hope that nothing much will change in the next 10 days. I guess most people will leave Tokyo on the 27th, and that the 26th is just a regular working day so the trains won't be as crowded?

Himeji castle looks great, if there's time left I'd definitely like to visit it. Thanks for the suggestion.
by Giera rate this post as useful

reply to this thread