Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/15 19:13
Hello there,
I would like to find out the coverage on the train service offered with this pass.
I will be travelling from Tokyo Station to Odawara before continuing with Hakone Pass.
From Tokyo to Odawara there are Shinkansen Hikari/Kodama / Ltd Exp & JR lines for local area such as Atami and Hachioji. My question is does the JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) cover the travelling on Shinkansen Hikari/Kodama from Tokyo to Odawara?
by Admsup (guest)  

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/16 07:44
No.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/16 10:33
Thank you for your clarification. Have a nice day.
by Admsuo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/16 15:41
Alternatively, you can use local JR train to get to Odawara from Tokyo (takes longer than an hour, but is covered by that pass).

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
by JPN48 rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/16 15:45
Noted. Thank you.
by Admsup (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 17:49
You can not book a Tokaido Shinkansen(operator is not JR-EAST) by that pass is right,
but you can book a LtdExp Odoriko and Super view Odoriko fr Tokyo mainly, some ones are fr Shinjuku side.
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/com...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odoriko

Super view Odoriko : reserved seat cars only
(regular, non-titled) Odoriko : non-reserved cars with
All odoriko (down route) trains will be stopping at Odawara(not last stop).

And, this guide (by JR part) is not perfect,
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
this local and rapid train means regular commuter trains of JR-EAST,
those are covered by yr pass is right but not covered their (non-reserved) Green Cars.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/types.html
https://youtu.be/WjH08WmEgL4
(This YouTuber used Suica instead of cash for purchasing a paper Green car ticket, though.)

Also Odakyu is not JR-EAST, one of different big private rail company in Tokyo area.
But if starts fr(or, via) Shinjuku, Odakyu commuter train fare is cheaper than JR-EAST same class one.
They also have fater LtdExp that called "Romance Car" series, but the pass cannot be used.
by ARENOEL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 19:49
Thank you for your detailed elaborations on the usagable train ticket by the pass. If i were to use the Jr east nagano pass from Tokyo to Odawara, can I top up the fare differences with cash in order to get on a shinkansen from Tokyo to Odawara?

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 20:14
You can buy a regular ticket Tokyo to Odawara if you wish. But is paying 3300-3600 yen worth saving 53 minutes?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 20:40
No, you can't "top up". If you want to use the Shinkansen, you must pay the full price for it.

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 20:54
Thank you for your detailed elaborations on the usagable train ticket by the pass. If i were to use the Jr east nagano pass from Tokyo to Odawara, can I top up the fare differences with cash in order to get on a shinkansen from Tokyo to Odawara?

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 21:07
I don't think you understood the previous posters above. The JR East Pass does NOT include the Tokaido Shinkansen, as the Tokaido Shinkansen is operated by JR Central and not JR East. Therefore, in order to use the shinkansen from Odawara to Tokyo or vice-versa, you must pay the full fare. That pass is only for JR lines operated by JR East (along with other, private lines) For more information, please refer to their website: https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/index.html
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 21:14
If you, for whatever reason, decide to TRY and just use the pass from Tokyo to Odawara, the sation staff will not let you through the manned gate. At Tokyo Station, the shinkansen are divided by company, so the JR East trains are through one gate, while the JR Central lines are through another gate. If you try to use the JR East pass at the JR Central gate, the staff will point you to the JR East gates and that will land you on tracks headed to Niigata, Nagano and Aomori.

If, by any chance, you decide to try the same at Shinagawa, you'll be rejected, as the shinkansen portion of the station is owned by JR Central and not JR East, even though Shinagawa is a JR East station.

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 23:31
Thank you John B for your thorough explanations and vivid scenarios on how to smuggle into Tokaido line. :)
I think you miss my point of where i m coming from. What i m trying to understand is since they are all JR operators (east/north/west etc) do they hav any consenses of giving discounts on the train fare that is not cover in the passes if the consumer wants to pay for it? Of course the alternative will be taking a slower train to reach odarawa as covered in the pass.

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 23:50
No, we don't miss your point. As you were told repeatedly, if you want to use the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Odawara, you pay the full price, period. No "top up", discount, or however you want to call it.

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/17 23:58
No, there is no consensus of discounts outside the general JR Rail Pass, which doesn't cover Nozomi trains.

JR Central is not going to care that you have one of the JR East passes, they are just going to charge you from your departing station in Tokyo to Odawara because none of the shinkansen trip is covered as all the track is owned by JR Central or JR West. JR East just doesn't own any of the shinkansen track, it's why you can take an Odoriko or other regular commuter line, JR East owns that track, but it's not the same track as the shinkansen track and I believe follows a slightly different route.

Honestly, I find it tends to be easier to just take a Romance Car from Shinjuku on the Odakyu line. Regardless of whether you have a JR Pass or not, you will need to pay out of pocket from Odawara to Hakone-Yumoto and change trains.

I've also gone to Hakone from Kamakura, taking the train to Ofuna and transferring there. I don't remember it taking a particularly long amount of time.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano,Niigata Area) 2019/4/18 01:43
[bangs head on wall] Look, JR East is ONE company. JR Central is ANOTHER company. Same with JR Kyushu and Shikoku and Hokkaido and West Japan. In 1987 JNR disbanded into these SEPARATE companies, each with their own passes and discounts. Only the JAPAN RAIL PASS will allow you use of all companies' trains/lines, with a few exceptions. The JR EAST pass will not work on the shinkansen operated by JR CENTRAL, period, end of story. [/bangs head on wall]

reply to this thread