Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/22 17:11
Hi,

I'm planning to go to....

Day 1: Himeiji and Kobe
Day 2: Nara
Day 3: Leave for Kansai Airport

Will the Kansai Thru Pass get me to all these places and is it worth it?
by John (guest)  

Re: Kansai Thru Pass(3 day) worth it? 2019/4/22 18:43
Kansai Thru Pass (3 days): 5,200 Yen

Day 1: Himeiji and Kobe
Osaka - Kobe - Himeji - Osaka: 410 Yen + 960 Yen + 1,280 Yen = 2,650 Yen

Day 2: Nara
490 Yen (from Tsuruhashi) or 560 Yen (from Osaka-Namba) to Kintetsu Nara Station (About 1,000 Yen round trip)

Day 3: Leave for Kansai Airport
920 Yen (from Shin-Imamiya Station)

So that's about 4,600 Yen. Might be just pay off if you regularly use those non-JR trains to move places within Osaka. But personally, I wouldn't take that pass with that itinerary, since taking JR trains are actually more convenient to move around.
by JPN48 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass(3 day) worth it? 2019/4/22 19:11
Ooops... I forgot to mention my base is in Kyoto near Nijo station.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass(3 day) worth it? 2019/4/22 19:30
Then it will pay off, as 2 of your destinations are now further away (and cost more to travel to) than what the PP calculated.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/23 11:47
Which train would I take to Kansai aiport with the Kansai Thru Pass. I assume any JR operated trains are excluded.

Re: Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/23 15:24
You take Nankai Exp to get there. It doesn't stop at Osaka or Shin-Osaka stations, but it does stop in Shin-Imamiya station, Tengachaya station, among others.
by JPN48 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/23 23:02
Honestly, you might want to consider the 3 day Kansai Pass with JR instead: https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/

It would cover your Haruka from Kyoto Station to KIX, it would let you take a Special Rapid from Kyoto Station to Himeji and Kobe Station and you could use it to go to JR Nara and then either walk 15-20 minutes or take the bus to the main sights in Nara.

If you're staying near Nijo Station, you are also likely to use JR if you want to go to Kyoto Station.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/24 09:50
I second rkold for buying JR's Kansai Area Pass 3 days. If you take non-JR trains (covered by Kansai thru pass) it will take about 3 hours to get to Himeji from Nijo while by using JR trains (covered by JR's Kansai Area Pass) it takes about 2 hours (1 hour less than the Kansai thru pass route). Also you can save about 20 min to reach Kansai Airport, and it will require only one transfer at JR Kyoto station.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Thru Pass (3 day) worth it? 2019/4/24 14:19
Ok JR Kansai Area Pass sounds good. Thank you everyone!

reply to this thread