Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary review getting closer 2019/4/24 02:38
Hi

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Japan from Alberta Canada Oct 3rd-21st, flying in and out of Tokyo. Bucket list trip and found good ticket prices and we are excited. We like a medium pace (but probably faster than usual because who knows when we will be back) and interested in culture (ancient specifically Geisha and modern though not manga and anime so much), castles, gardens, beautiful scenery, food, nature, walking, onsens- all of it! Here is what we have so far. Haven't worked out transportation logistics yet. Have listed specific questions at the end and interested in any and all feedback on order etc.

Oct 4th-arrive -2:30-
Oct 4th-7th Tokyo
Oct 7th-Tokyo -onsen in Shirahone region (maybe Matsumoto castle en route; maybe ropeway) -overnight onsen experience -not sure what one -this is a big question as we want a really nice outdoor onsen experience in alps -Shirahone or Takaragwa??
Oct 8th -onsen-Takeyama (maybe Kamikoche hike en route)
Oct 9th -Takeyama (cycle trip and fall festival )
Oct 10th -Takeyama (rent car and explore surrounding villages including Ainokura)
Oct 11th -Takeyama to Kyoto (your Kyoto)
Oct 12th -Kyoto (tour city)
Oct 13th -Kyoto (tour city)
Oct 14th -Kyoto (tour city -evening in Osaka for food)
Oct 15th -Kyoto (tour city and maybe day drip)
Oct 16th -Hiroshima and Miyajima (overnight Miyajima)
Oct 17th -Miyajima -Koya San (overnight Temple)
Oct 18th
Oct 19th -
Oct 20th-MOTO GP Race -twin ring (not sure where to stay overnight-tokyo, closer by)
Oct 21st-home

So...my questions

1) We are really looking forward to one, maybe 2, onsen stays depending on cost. Have my heart set on outdoors and a nice, traditional place with a good view. Where is this best done? The Alps (if so where), Kinosaki Onsen, or Hakone on the way back? Is it worth experiencing two?

2) the MOTO GP Race. My husband is a huge fan and set on going-no idea where to sty night before to be close to the track and night of to be close to the airport for a late morning flight home-suggestions?

3) We have some empty days at the end? Another onsen? Maybe Hakone on the way back up? We were thinking of going in and out of Kyoto (splitting to stay) to go to Kinosaki because its out of the way a bit . Another place near Kyoto? Another day in the Alps-maybe an overnight in Kanazawa on the way to Kyoto for the gardens

4) we love to rent cars and drive around. Part of me was wondering if for the Alps, it night be worth renting a car in Matsumoto and driving around for that part to have more freedom and access more remote sites?

This is a lot! I appreciate any feedback.
by Jacqui44 (guest)  

Re: Itinerary review getting closer 2019/4/24 11:35
Hi!

I will do my best to answer some of your questions, but first...

Takaragawa onsen and Shirahone onsen are really not very close to one another. Even in a rental car you're looking at 4 hours one way. So I think you are either headed to Takaragawa onsen on the 7th OR headed to Shirahone. You're not easily going to both.

Please also be aware that from Miyajima to Koya-san is over 5 hours of travel if you are using a rail pass so you can't use Nozomi Shinkansen. With a Nozomi it drops travel times down to a little under 4.5 hours, it's still going to be a long travel day.

Shirahone has some lovely looking ryokan as does just outside Matsumoto itself. I know @LikeBike stayed overnight at Hirayu no Mori, I only day tripped there. It had splendid onsen. The Okuhida region also has some great onsen. I would be cautious about driving from Matsumoto to Takayama. The drop off fee is going to be around 10,000 yen or more. I looked into it once a year or so ago. The further the prefecture for drop off is from the prefecture the car was rented from the higher the fees. Someone on this forum recommended the Kamikochi Onsen Hotel in Kamikochi. It poured while I was in Kamikochi so it was not something I considered visiting as a day guest.

Have you thought about Kaga onsen near Kanazawa or Wakura onsen on the Noto Peninsula as your additional onsen overnight? You could hit one of those on the way to Kyoto.

You could also look into an Izu Peninsula or Atami on your way back to Tokyo from the West. I don't always want to stay at a ryokan, but I try to get in as many onsen or sento experiences as I can when in Japan.

For the Moto GP, it looks like it is near Utsunomiya and Mito. I've been to the Mito for its garden but I've never stayed over night. There seems to be a glamping site nearby https://www.twinring.jp/f-glamping/stay/

You can but Motegi Moto GP in Google maps and just look for accommodations nearby. Depending on when your flight home is, just make sure to give yourself time to reach it. There are lot of ryokan at Nasushiobara which is not so far away from Motegi.

I'm a huge fan of Kanazawa so would always recommend an overnight.

You can rent a car, but please remember if you're not on an expressway (which will have tolls) the speeds tend to be low. And again there are huge drop-off fees and some places, like Kamikochi, don't allow cars. You'd have to price out your options. There are certainly pluses to rental cars, just always be aware of the cost. I'm pretty sure there was not a lot in the way of gas stations between Matsumoto and Takayama. I've been on nearly the entire route via bus. I would not want one in a big city as parking fees can be quite high and spaces can be hard to come by.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread