Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 13:56
So I have bought the following ticket: ttps://imgur.com/a/P3ynmzJ

Its a non-reserve ticket from Tokyo Shinagawa to Shin-Osaka. It says that its valid for 1 day on April 28th. I bought it at the ticket office and thought I had understood how it works in my limited Japanese.. but I guess not.

So since it has no time written, does that mean that I can take any train (nozomi, hikari, etc) starting from 12am on the 28th, no matter what time in the day? I would like to take the earliest arriving train in Osaka, but I'm not sure how to find this information. Is there some kind of train schedule I could find?

Also, does it matter whether I take it from Tokyo or Shinagawa station? I have heard that Tokyo station is the first station so its better to get on there for more room, but I'm just a little confused on how exactly to know what train to get on, and where to go, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
by ocean800  

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:12
You need to get on the train which is mentioned on the ticket.
If you want to take from Tokyo you need to pay additional money.

You can take the train at any time during that day, as long you take the non reserved.
And you can board the Nozomi.

Please keep in mind you are going in the most busy period (golden week) and you will have a hard time to get in to the train. All seats are already reserved and booked during the golden week and other people also try to board non reserved.

by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:14
starting from 12am ??
from 0 AM.

you only buy an express ticket. you need to buy a base-fare ticket. (you need to have TWO tickets.)
when you buy a base-fare ticket. it shows from Tokyo city (ward) area to Osaka city area.
you can get in at any JR station in Tokyo city area (with a base-fare ticket) and can go to Tokyo station (it is better to go to Tokyo station instead of Shinagawa station to get a seat.) you pass through the Shinkansen gate (with a base-fare ticket and an express ticket. after that, both tickets are punctuated.) and now you are at Shinkansen area in JR Tokyo station.
you choose one train you want to ride, you have to wait a train in a line at platform. non-reserved cars are from No.1 to No.3 or from No.1 to No.5.
since Tokyo is the departure station (no one gets in already ), you have a good chance to take a seat, if you wait in a line earlier.

when the train has arrived at Shin-Osaka, you have a few ways to go. JR regular line or subway (midosuji line).
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:18
This is a limited express ticket only, you also need a base fare ticket.

With this ticket together with a base fare ticket, you can take non-reserved seats on any Shinkansen from Tokyo or Shinagawa to Shin-Osaka on 28 April.

Timetable here: https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/westbound_0316....
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:21
the price of base-fare ticket from Tokyo to Osaka is 8750 yen.
you need to pay it additionally in any way.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:22
Shinkansen timetable for April 28 from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka -

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/intervaltime.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_no...

When you buy a Shinkansen ticket for Tokyo - Shin-Osaka, it has two parts - a base fare (which is Yen 8,750) and a limited (super) express / seat fee component. A reserved seat is Yen 5,900, a non-reserved seat is Yen 4,870.

You have paid the non-reserved seat fee .... but have you paid the Yen 8,750 base fare? Once you've paid the base fare, you can take any train and sit in any available seat in any of the non-reserved carriages.

Unless you pay/get a ticket for the base fare, you won't be able to get through the ticket barrier. You can use the SmartEx app to buy a ticket and associate it with a Suica card but that will be difficult - see this article for some info.
https://morethanrelo.com/en/how-to-use-your-suica-on-the-shinkansen/

I would go back to the ticket office and explain what you need - we've never had any trouble with the staff not understanding what we wanted to do. Alternatively, you should be able to buy a ticket from a ticket machine.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:26
Also, does it matter whether I take it from Tokyo or Shinagawa station?

With that ticket you can take the train from either station, assuming you also have a base fare ticket that covers the entire journey. Tokyo Station is recommended because it is the first station along the journey and it is easier to get vacant seats. Shinagawa is the second station, and non-reserved seats may be gone. April 28 will be extremely busy!

In order to get unreserved seats, go to Tokyo Station and line up on the platform for cars 1-3 in case of Nozomi or car 1-5 in case of Hikari. The location of unreserved cars is also illustrated here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html

Taking a Kodama train could also be an option if you do not mind spending considerably more time on the train.
by Uji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:27
When you catch the Shinkansen in Japan, you need two things

(1) A train ticket
(2) Seat Ticket

You do not have a train ticket - but do have a seat ticket. This ticket can be used on Kodama and Hikari trains but I've forgotten about Nozomi (the fastest trains on the Tokaido lines). This means you can get on the non-reserved carriages or stand at the end of the carriages of reserved carriages.

As such, you also need to buy a train ticket. This fare will probably be 8750 yen according to Hyperdia which can also be purchased (IN ENGLISH) from one of the ticket machines. In Japan - I find it's often easier to use the ticket machines than speaking to people if I know which stations I want to use.

Two tickets are needed for you to get onto the train (seat + train ticket).

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 16:36
This ticket can be used on Kodama and Hikari trains but I've forgotten about Nozomi

You can also use a Nozomi.
by Uji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using shinkansen non-reserve ticket? 2019/4/26 21:06
I'm not sure how to reply individually, but thank you so much everyone! I do actually have the base fare ticket as well, I was just unaware what the two different ticket papers are for. I will then take either the Nozomi/Hikari train from Tokyo station and will get to the station an hour earlier than my chosen train.
by ocean800 rate this post as useful

Re: Using Shinkansen non-reserved seat ticket? 2019/4/26 22:44
Actually, on the Tokaido Shinkansen,
there is one regular westbound train starting not from Tokyo but from Shinagawa,
which is Nozomi 99 bound for Hakata
(Shinagawa 6:00 -- 7:28 Nagoya 7:29 -- 8:16 Shin-Osaka).

During the 10 days of Golden Week 2019 (from April 27 to May 6),
Nozomi 151 is available from Tokyo Station
(Tokyo 6:06 -- 7:42 Nagoya 7:44 -- 8:33 Shin-Osaka).

It may be good news to you
that Nozomi 99 / Nozomi 151 currently still have some seats to be reserved,
in the Ordinary Class car(s), from Shinagawa / Tokyo until Nagoya;
paying 930 yen more, you can have a reserved seat, though partially until Nagoya.

For your ride with your seat reserved,
you in advance specify the first station (Tokyo or Shinagawa for your case),
which is indicated on your ticket.

In Shinagawa Station,
there is only one Shinkansen zone;
you can just follow signs for the Shinkansen.
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/station/_img/shinagawa.jpg

When you choose Tokyo Station,
there are two separate Shinkansen zones with gates of same or similar names.
Please pay attention
to the names of the Shinkansen lines and/or the colors of the Shinkansen pictograms.
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/station/_img/tokyo.jpg

The Tokaido Shinkansen zone (, which is managed by JR-Central,)
is indicated with blue-and-white Shinkansen pictograms,
like the one seen in the photo of the next link.
https://www.japan-guide.com/g3/2018_how_sign.jpg

The other Shinkansen zone (, which is managed by JR-East,)
is indicated with green-and-white Shinkansen pictograms.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread