Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 08:23
Hello, I will be going to Tokyo on 10 June - 19 June 2019. We consist of me my husband and our daughters age 17 and 13. We have been to tokyo before and not so interested in a big city. We are looking for more nature scenic holiday, relax, eat local food, and cool fresh weather. Could you please help me which cities nearby tokyo worth to visit for our holiday ? Itinerary plan suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Eva
by Eva (guest)  

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 15:18
Hi. Nikko is much cooler than Tokyo, worth an overnight stay (we stayed at Hotel Kanaya, very nice).

Karuizawa is much cooler than Tokyo, I like the town which is pretty trendy for Japanese standards. Bessho Onsen is also cooler, and Kamikochi is very cool.

If you wanted a general concept, I would go Tokyo - Karuizawa - Ueda (Bessho Onsen) - Nagano - Matsumoto - Kamikochi
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 15:30
Hi Thank you for your reply. As per your itinerary suggestion, do we have to buy the JR pass ?
by evads rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 16:15
You could also just go up to Tohoku, e.g. Lake Towada, Ginzan Onsen, Yamadera, Hirosaki, ... (Look up Tohoku on this page).

But I agree with the PP that Karuizawa and Nikko are good choices to have some colder days in between staying in Tokyo.

Or you could obviously come in a cooler season, e.g. mid/end September...

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 16:28
If your dates are fixed, flying north to Hokkaido might be one option. Of course Hokkaido is not close to Tokyo but there are many flights to Sapporo (90 min) and even to Wakkanai (not so many flights). Since it's June, the rainy season you might better avoid it in Hokkaido where it rains less than other places in Japan, especially in June.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 16:46
Hi, I havent usually bought the JR Pass for trips like the one I suggested. If you get on to hyperdia you could work out whether it would pay. It might depend where you went after Kamikochi, and whether it involved shinkansen travel which is usually the most expensive. As an example, if you went on to Takayama then Kanazawa, and came back via shinkansen, the JR pass might pay.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/5 23:28
Thank you very much for all the suggestion and information. Really really appreciated. Thank you, thank you.

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/6 00:11
Hi!

While I like big cities and I'm not bothered as much by heat and humidity and I am not sure I would ever go back to Kamikochi in the rain. Cities are fine in the rain, you walk around and then go into a store or a cafe and get dryer and then go out again. Theme parks are fine because it keeps crowds to a minimum so even if you're getting soaked, you're not waiting in line! Kamikochi in buckets of rain was miserable. I should have canceled my reservation as soon as I knew it was expected to rain and gone back to Matsumoto. On the bright hand side it was very cold. I think it was around 15.5 possibly cooler.

This is a little later in June, but Matsumoto, Takayama and Kanazawa are all still hot. Kanazawa was really hot when we went, though I still enjoyed it immensely. I've only been to Nikko in August, but it was still really hot.

If you only do: Karuizawa, Nagano, Matsumoto Kamikochi to Takayama back to Matsumoto by bus, you could probably get away with a JR Nagano-Niigata pass, but you'd need to do the math to make sure it pays off.

I'm personally trying a few days in Tohoku in my next trip to beat the heat. I've heard it gets less rain as well and we're going to use a JR East Pass and rental car to reach where we would like.

Oddly enough Hokkaido might be your cheapest option. There are discounted fares there and you can rent a car from the airport for your travels which might make sense since for all intents and purposes you're a party of 4 adults when calculating costs. I thought about going to Hokkaido but I only have a 3 days while you have 9.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/6 00:59
Hi, if I can change the ticket to Sapporo, could you please inform us if it is worth to go for side trip to nearby city outside sapporo, how the route will be ? Thank you so much

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/6 02:11
Hi!

At least where I live, it is very expensive to change flights, much more so than to just pay out of pocket for an explorer ticket like one of these:
https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/lp/

I've only been to Onuma near Hakodate. It was quite pretty, but I was also there in Fall. I personally like cities. I also live in the countryside right now. As in I just saw a red fox in my backyard and when I visit the town offices there are warnings about bears and bear sightings. I was looking into Ashikawa, but I am also going to be in Japan later than you when early lavender might be out. (Akita might have some lavender for my trip as well.)

I think it's really about what you want to see and do. I honestly have no idea what your budget is.

You could do the Kamikochi idea, I loved Matsumoto, Nagano and Kanazawa. Kanazawa and Takayama were just super hot, but again I was there about a week or two after your dates. You need to price out what make sense for you as well. It's just important to always realize that with the ages of your children, you're talking 4 adults for all transit and all lodging. I found Nagano City a veritable bargain hotel wise. We paid I think 9000 yen a night for the Metropolitan which is attached to Nagano Station, though you would likely need 2 rooms. I keep wanting to make it to Togakushi, but we've not made it yet.

If you want to risk Kamikochi, the cabins at the campground there are quite rustic and an interesting experience. They're also run you about 24,000 yen for the first night but 22,000 yen any subsequent nights. We stayed in a type A. We booked via email. You can look into where there are campgrounds if you want to be in nature. We also only paid 12,000 yen because we're a party of 2.

Heck, you could even look into going to Nikko then traveling by bus to Oze and then slowly heading to Nagano via Gunma. Again it's all about budget.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Cool weather places nearby tokyo 2019/5/6 03:13
For ideas about Hokkaido please check out the Hokkaido page on this website first against what you are interested in. I think so far we only know that you want cool and donft care too much about big cities. With these Info rural Hokkaido seems to be an ideal fit. (As would Tohoku, but Hokkaido is even cooler).

In June you should get nice flowers, you can go hiking, soak in onsen...

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread