Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to do next? 2019/5/21 19:21
Hi. My husband (Japanese) and I (Filipina) met last July 2018 here in Japan. We work at the same company til now. I hold student visa currently so I do part time job while he is a manager. He and I got closed together and I moved to his house last September 2018 because he said he wants us to be together. We decided to meet both parents last January (his parents) and May (my parents). We got married after golden week, just this month and we are worried because we don't have much knowledge what will happen if Spouse visa will be rejected or whatsoever. Should I apply for change of residence status to spouse of Japanese National or get COE instead? What is the difference also and which is better? Any other advice pls. Thanks 🙇Š
by Ria333  

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/22 12:14
COE are for those who are residing outside of Japan. Because you are already in Japan on a valid residence status, you need to go to immigration to apply for a "change of status" to from Student to Spouse of Japanese National. Only immigration officers can decide whether to approve the change of status, but if your marriage is legitimate and you provide all documentation, you have a good chance of receiving it.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/22 12:21
Thanks. We will go to the City hall this week to get the documents and back to Philippine embassy based in Tokyo to get Marriage contract. Then go to Immigration after that. I wonder how long it will take to process the change of status although the expiration of my student visa is until September 2019.
by Ria333 rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/22 12:25
Thanks. We will go to the City hall this week to get the documents and back to Philippine embassy based in Tokyo to get Marriage contract. Then go to Immigration after that. I wonder how long it will take to process the change of status although the expiration of my student visa is until September 2019.

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/22 13:08
Your legal capacity contract to marriage (lccm) also require time and documents so as soon as possible first get lccm from your embassy after that go to city hall to register your marriage there after receiving the acceptance from city hall go straight to immigration and submit application for change of status. Change of status normally take 2 and half months but also take more time in some cases.
by Mr. X (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/22 21:27
COE are for those who are residing outside of Japan.
False - I did my COE while in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? STUDENT TO SPOUSE VISA 2019/5/22 21:41
I see. I got LCCM already. We are married already in City hall. The Philippine embassy told us to come back after marriage to get Marriage contract. But after that, the change of residence status is the one I need to process in Immigration, right? Or COE? This is confusing though. Should I need some connections like agency or lawyer to process our papers? The only problem I think is my husband's age and mine. Our gap is 13 years and we got married after 11 months from the time we met. Is that even okay? 😂

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/23 03:13
Your information are wrong sister I also married to a phillipines citizen she us permanent resident here first of all need lccm from embassy if you have already lccm and you already got acceptance from city hall then just only need report of marriage back to phillipines embassy you can send it through post office also and Coe is not required CEO is just, time wasting you need simply change of status and age doesn't matter my wife is 20 years older than me just provide each and every documents to immigration best of luck
by Mr. X (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/23 07:36
You are currently residing in Japan with valid resident status. You should apply for Change of Status
from Student to Spouse of Japanese National.

Normally those without proper visa/resident status immgration will advise the COE-visa route. COE is applied from/in Japan by sponsor/guarantor and to be sub mitted together with visa application at Japan embassy overseas. In your case, forget about COE for now.

Just proceed with Change of Status. As long as you can prove your marriage genuinity, have all the required documents probability is good. But then again, final decision is up to immigration.

Change of Status
English
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html

Japanese
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2.html
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/23 09:43
False - I did my COE while in Japan.

Fine. Usually a COE is for those residing outside of Japan. If you are in Japan on a valid residence status anyway, a Change of Status is simpler.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/5/23 11:43
Thanks. I will update you all soon. We're doing our best to make our dreams come true. 😬😂

Re: What to do next? 2019/6/5 21:02
Why does the immigration in Tokyo needs our marriage certificate from PSA in Philippines?? I thought Philippine Embassy in Japan is sufficient already to obtain proper documents? 😭

Re: What to do next? 2019/7/16 22:32
Hi guys. I already got the result of my spouse visa application for 19 working days only. I passed. I am so happy. I hope to have a great life, family, and career here in Japan soon. 😊

Re: What to do next? 2019/7/17 08:29
Congratulations and best of luck for your marriage life can you tell Us that how many years status you got 1 or 3
by Alanwalker rate this post as useful

Re: What to do next? 2019/8/13 00:46
I got 1 year. My lawyer said it is common to have 1 year on the first application. Then another 1 yr or 3 years. But it is okay as long as me and my husband can stay here happily. ☺

reply to this thread