Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/19 23:11
Hi fellow travellers,

We are planning our honeymoon in Japan (November 12- Dec 1) and would love to get your opinion on the itinerary below.

We only have fly in to Taipei from Amsterdam and back from Tokyo at the moment.

Thinking of flying in to Osaka and spending 16-17 days in Japan. First time travellers, interested in cities, food, nature and unique experiences to Japan. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Day 1 fly Taipei- Osaka

Day 2 Osaka

Day 3 Osaka - side trip to Kobe

Day 4 Osaka - side trip to Nara

Day 5 Kyoto - old Kyoto,

Day 6: Kyoto - temples, bamboo forest...

Day 7: Kanazawa

Day 8: Kanazawa

Day 9:Takayama

Day 10: Takayama - side trip to Shirakowogo

Day 11 ??

Day 12 Hakone (onsen)

Day 13 Hakone - Tokyo

Day 14 - 18Tokyo

Day 19 flight back at 6pm

- does it make sense to purchase JR pass for this trip? What other passes would we need?

- does it make sense to sleep in Osaka and travel to Kyoto? (accommodation seems much cheaper in Kyoto)

- I am fascinated by Alpine route but not sure if mid November is a good time to go and if it is feasible to fit it in?

- looks a bit hard to get to Hakone from Takayama...shall we add anything on the way for Day 11 to break the trip and see something else?

- we really want to spend a long time in Tokyo without side trips to enjoy this huge city...so therefore such a big part is dedicated for Tokyo

Thanks in advance!
by SashaG  

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 12:23
Hi.

Personally I wouldnt spend a lot of time in Osaka. I'd fly in and go straight to Nara for a couple of nights. It doesnt matter how many times I go to Nara it never gets tired, it is a pretty town especially if you stay a few nights.

To commute to Kyoto I'd probably go from Otsu rather than Osaka. Otsu at least has views over lake Biwa and is pretty close. Some places are reasonably priced in Kyoto. I quite like the Westin Miyako which is a little inconvenient to the station, but set in a nice area out of the main concrete part of town.

On your way to Kanazawa, stop off at Hikone for a few hours and see the castle. It is a great original castle overlooking the lake, with nice gardens.

From Takayama to Hakone you could potentially stop at Atami which is on the shinkansen line. it would be a convenient place to spend the night. Atami itself didnt really grab me, but it is an onsen area. We recently stayed at Taiseikan ryokan at Ajiro which is about 10 minutes form Atami station by local train. It had great views over the bay, good food, big rooms, good onsen and was very cheap. For a ryokan experience I'd recommend it. Ajiro doesnt have much to do (actually nothing really), but there are lively towns a few minutes away by train in either direction - Atami one way and Ito the other.

Stopping there (Atami area) would mean that you would only have to go from Atami station to Odawara (about 15 minutes by shinkansen from memory) then the train from Odawara to Hakone Yumoto (about 10 minutes from memory). We kind of followed that path, and stayed at Tonosawa which is in walking distance of Hakone Yumoto.

Have fun!

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 14:18
Regarding your accommodation in the Kansai area, you can stay in just one place. Either Kyoto or Osaka. Or if you donft mind changing hotels you could stay in Nara and then move to either Kyoto or Osaka. @rkold mentioned in previous posts that hotels in Kyoto are getting more reasonably priced.

On this forum there is also a majority of people (me included) that do not think that Osaka merits a (long) visit. I go there quite often for work, but on weekends normally gfleeh the city. And you have Tokyo in your itinerary so you get the city experience there.

Now to Hakone. Have you chosen it because it has onsen and is famous or some more specific reason? I am asking because in Takayama you are so much closer to other onsen areas that are very attractive. Eg Hirayu onsen.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5940.html
And there you are right in the mountains and could hike a bit if you want and then soak in one of the many onsen. Or alternatively just soak around the entire day in different onsen.

Hakone does have its attractions, not least a volcano (which sometimes however is off limits - I think currently it is, but this changes frequently). However it is not the only nor the best place in Japan to experience onsen.

If Okuhida isnft for you, you could also consider going by bus from Takayama to Matsumoto, visit the castle and then go to an onsen area in Nagano Prefecture. I donft know them so well (only know Shibu Onsen https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6029.html which doesnft have any rotenburo (onsen outside) but has the snow monkeys and is a nice small village and Karuizawa which is a rather posh area and with very convenient transport options). But there is Besshu onsen (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6070.html) as well. Others will be more knowledgeable about it ( and other options).

Enjoy your honeymoon in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 16:09
More kyoto. Use the ??? day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 16:44

@Lazi Pious Thanks for your reply, it is so valuable.
My idea was to sleep in Osaka and go on day trips, also to Kyoto couple of times as it is much cheaper to sleep there and with JR pass the trip was free, am I wrong here?
But Good idea about Nara - I will check it out!
Otsu looks lovely indeed, thanks a lot for the advice.

We are indeed looking to stay at Onsen, thanks!
by SashaG rate this post as useful

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 16:51
@Likebike thanks for your recommendations, very valuable.
I saw Netflix show about Osaka food and want to experience it. but I can probably do it in a day trip.
I chose Hakone to have a view on Mt.Fuji - am I wrong here? Would be greateful for any advices on your side :) Indeed, i think now some areas are closed due to the volcano.
I love your ideas - will try to rework itinerary tonight:)
by SashaG rate this post as useful

Re: Critisize my Japan itinerary 2019/6/20 18:21
Hi!

I've never seen Mt. Fuji from Hakone. I've been to Hakone 4 or 5 times. It's not a given that you will see Mt. Fuji there. You should go to Hakone because you want to go to Hakone and if you see Mt. Fuji it's just the icing on the cake.

I think Osaka has better super cheap hotels and its prices for luxury hotels are better than Kyoto but for that mid range sweet spot, I think Kyoto is better. There is a lot in the 80-$175 range for two people. There are also a plethora of Apartment Hotels, It feels like they are always building more. I'm in Kyoto right now.

If you want to do the Alpine Route it is recommended to start in Ogizawa rather than Toyama because the bus to Murodo is often times closed in November. I think it would be hard to work that in, especially with a trip to Hakone.

Osaka and Kyoto are really easy to get between. You don't need a rail pass. If you're just going to Osaka to eat you can take the train down for dinner easily. The best way to get from Kanazawa to Takayama is via bus and I would hit Shirakawa Go then because it's on the way. You can technically take the train from Kanazawa to Toyama and then a Hida down, but there are only 4 Hidas each day from Toyama to Takayama and if you miss it you get the super long wait in Toyama Station which is not that interesting.

I agree with @LikeBike, Hirayu no Mori is awesome and the Okuhida region is great for onsen.

You could get a 3 Star bus pass and go from Kanazawa to Shirakawa Go to Takayama to Matsumoto and then take the train down to Tokyo.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread