Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen on 27 Dec 2019/6/22 16:30
Hello! I'm traveling in a group of 5 in December, and we'll be in the country from the 23rd to Jan. 1 the next year. We'll be arriving in Osaka on the 23rd and ride the shinkansen to Tokyo later in the day. We will have JR passes so we intend to exchange them at the airport and reserve seats for the shinkansen. We've already booked our airbnbs for Tokyo (Dec. 23-27) and Osaka (Dec. 27-Jan.1). My question is, will it be difficult to reserve seats (when we arrive at the airport at Dec. 23) for the Hikari train to Osaka on Dec. 27, knowing that the next day is the beginning of new year holidays and is a Saturday? If we fail to get reserved seats, will it be impossible to get unreserved ones? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
by Alison (guest)  

Re: Shinkansen on 27 Dec 2019/6/23 17:20
If you can't get reserved seats, just wait on the platform well in advance at an unreserved carriage marker. This is even easier from the origin station if possible, since you'll be the first passengers to embark.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen on 27 Dec 2019/6/23 17:40
If at all possible I would wait at the originating station for the unreserved seats. With a JR pass you can only take a few types of Shinkansen and not the fastest and most frequent ones.
However that would be only your backup solution of you canft reserve seats upon your arrival on the 23rd.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen on 27 Dec 2019/6/23 18:27
An answer so nice you received it twice.......
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread