Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/24 18:43
Hi all, need help with route planning. Will be landing and departing from Japan Narita airport.

Route 1: Tateyama-Kyoto-Osaka-Hakone-Tokyo

Or

Route 2: Kyoto-Osaka-Hakone-Tateyama-Tokyo

Was thinking of staying 1night At Tateyama, 3 nights at Kyoto, 3 nights Osaka and 1 night at Hakone.

Where should I stay at Tateyama?

Also Should I get the 7 days JR or 14 days JR?

Thank you very much!!
by Ada (guest)  

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/25 02:12
Before buy any transportation pass,Ask yourself:
Why I buy JR pass?Why I came to Japan?
For myself, I want to see how Japan Looks Like.How they made their country after WW2.So JR Nationwide pass is my 1st choice.Because I came Japan after spending half million yen including return air fare.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/25 04:29
Hi

What time of year are you traveling? Depending on when your flight arrives you're not going to get all that far on the Alpine Route your first day.

Once your actual itinerary is settled, it's easier to figure out if a pass is worth it.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/25 12:05
Thanks all! Ifll be reaching in 7.30am on November 2019.
by Ada (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/25 14:11
Hi!

If you're coming through in November you MUST start in Ogizawa if you hope to make it to Murodo. Please see here:
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/about/seasonal.html

It is possible because of snow that the whole route is not open, so staying overnight might not be an option.

If you are going: Narita to Shinano-Omachi; Shinano-Omachi to Kyoto (which is likely to be by way of Nagoya); Kyoto and Osaka and then Osaka to Hakone; Hakone to Tokyo; Tokyo to Narita a pass might not be worth it. I am assuming on all trips with seat reservations you want a seat reservation

Though you save some money getting a Narita to Shinano-Omachi ticket, it might be worthwhile to get the JR East NEX special since you will save I believe more money on your return. Using current times the earliest you are going to reach Shinano-Omachi is 14:15 (figure 1 hour from your 7:30 am arrival time to get you on your way from Narita.) The train fare is: 10,370 yen from Tokyo (plus the 4000 yen JR East Special to ver the roundtrip NEX)

Whatever part of the Alpine Route you can do is not covered by a JR Pass.

Shinano-Omachi to Kyoto is 10,300 (assuming you can't complete the route)

Toyama to Kyoto is 8950 yen (assuming you can complete the route)

Kyoto to Osaka is negligible at around 560 yen one way. You're unlikely to take a shinkansen because they are not all that frequent and you would need to change in Shin-Osaka anyway.

Without a rail pass it is 12,730 yen to Hakone-Yumoto from Osaka, however 310 yen of that is a private line not covered by a pass.

From Hakone you can get back to Tokyo either by shinkansen or private line should you not have a pass. It's 3850 yen (again inclusive of the 310 private line not covered) if you were to take a shinkansen though again you can get there cheaper on Odakyu.

So I'm getting a total of: 41250 or so yen, If you go through Toyama it is cheaper. So it's about 50-50 whether a pass is worth it. Passes are great, but they do restrict you from using nozomi which are a LOT more frequent.

I hope this helps!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/26 13:30
Hi Rkold ! Thank you so much for the details!

Do you know the operating hours for Tateyama? I canft really understand from their page.

I would like to plan:

Day 1 arrive at Narita (7.30am) travel to Tateyama (stay 1 night) Donft think I will have time to see, probably only can do it the next morning?

Day 2-3 At Kyoto

Day 4-5 At Osaka

Day 6-7 At Hakone

Day 8 buy one way ticket back to Tokyo

Can I stay at Hakone and visit Fuji five lakes?

From Hakone to Fuji five lakes do we need to use the JR pass?

Thank you so much in advance!
by Ada (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 nights Japan with Tateyama in itinerary 2019/6/26 19:22
Why Tateyama? There is next to nothing there. And it is well out of the way from Tokyo and Kyoto. Tokyo to Tateyama is about 4 hours. Same to Kyoto. Plus some transfer times.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread