Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica Card 2019/6/25 01:41
Hi everyone,

I'm traveling to Japan on July 27th and returning home on August 4th. I plan to be in Tokyo most of the time, but planned to visit Mount Fuji for 2 days. Do you think I can use the Suica Card on the Tokaido Shinkansen line to get to Mount Fuji area? We booked a hotel in Shizuoka.

Thank you very much!
Esha
by Esha (guest)  

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 08:19
possible, but with a large BUT:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

And actually you are not going to use the money from the Suica, but directly paying from your credit card. So I am not really sure where the benefit would be except that you can rush through the gates and hop on the next unreserved seat.

I'd just buy a classic paper ticket.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 12:17
You can not buy a new Suica card in Shizuoka,
also you need to register as a Suica that can be used for Tokaido Shinkansen.

It is not cheap to buy TOICA card.
by zoiab (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 12:23
It is not cheap to buy TOICA card.

???

It's pretty much the same as all the others: 2000 yen including a 500-yen deposit.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 12:48
Long story short, if I were you I'd either ask your question to JR directly AFTER specifying the station you are departing from and embarking to when going to Mt. Fuji/Shizuoka. You can ask your question when you are purchasing your SUICA for the first time.

A slightly more detailed explanation:
You cannot cross the border between JR East (mainly Tokyo area) and JR Tokai (mainly Fuji and Shizuoka area) using your SUICA.
Meanwhile, a the basic fare long-distant train ticket allows you to board/embark not only from a specific station but from any station in a designated area.
A JR personnel would be able to guide you to the best option for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 12:55
It does not mean that TOICA card price expensive.

Even as if buy TOICA card... is.
by zoiab (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 15:20
You cannot cross the border between JR East (mainly Tokyo area) and JR Tokai (mainly Fuji and Shizuoka area) using your SUICA.
Actually you can, but you need to have the fare deducted manually rather than via automatically at a ticket gate in my experience. I've done a couple of trips from Tokyo to Shizuoka prefecture (as far south as Mishima). Takes a while, but the coastal scenery was pleasant.

As for SUICA on the shinkansen, practically you don't tap and go like a local train unless you have pre-purchased your ticket with the SmartEx system for the Tokaido/Sanyo shinkansen lines. Easier is just buy a ticket - takes a minute from a ticket machine.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 18:29
Actually you can (cross the border), but you need to have the fare deducted manually rather than via automatically at a ticket gate in my experience.

Actually, in my experience of using PASMO (which is virtually the same thing as SUICA in many ways) on the Tokaido Line local train from a JR East station to a JR Tokai station, the JR staff at my destination was nice enough to take a little time to adjust the fare and let me pay the balance by cash, but he told me that I was supposed to exit a ticket gate at the border if I wanted to use my PASMO, which means that it would've been easier if I had bought a normal ticket to come all the way from departure station to embarking station.

Anyway, it's tricky when you're traveling long distance, although it's easy to start using SUICA/PASMO again for short distance trains, once you've arrived at your destination far from SUICA/PASMO area.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 19:10
All that Suica can do this, Suica cannot do that etc.

With only seven days in total. I am trying to understand why one would go to Shizuoka to access Fujisan. Seems like the long way around.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/25 19:55
Well, the question is about Suica, not about whether going to Shizuoka is appropriate.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Card 2019/6/26 06:27
Thank you for all the useful advice. It looks like buying a normal ticket to access the shinkansen would be the best idea.
by Esha (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread