Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/25 21:07
I am planning on taking a trip to Japan in late 2020 and was thinking of traveling via the Shinkansen "Bullet Train" from Tokyo Station to Hachinohe. I know that you can purchase a JR East Pass but that supposedly doesn't pay for the Green Car Option. So, what is your thoughts as to what I should do? Forget about the JR East Pass and purchase a normal round trip ticket with a Green Car Option or?
by Pappa John (guest)  

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/25 23:00
Cost of a return trip between Tokyo and Hachinohe

1. Green class ticket Y19,800 * 2 = Y39,760
2. JR East Tohoku Area Pass Y19,000 + Green class super limited express & reserve seat ticket Y10,270 * 2 = Y39,540

I have never taken Green class before as I think "economy class" is sufficiently comfortable. The JR East Tohoku Area Pass pays off if returning to Tokyo within 14 days as a single trip from Tokyo to Hachinohe is already Y16,090.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 01:59
I've taken the Green Car option and personally I wouldn't spend the extra money. Its basically the same as regular economy but one fewer seat. However I do see the merit if taking the Shinkansen during rush hour, and the portion from Tokyo to Sendai can be very busy and crowded.

If you really want to take the Green Car you can still use the rail pass and cover a portion of the cost (i.e. Basic Fare and Shinkansen Supplement), but still pay the remainder which is on top of the economy.

As an example I took the Gran Class to Shin-Hakodate Hokuto in 2017 and the rail pass paid for the basic fares but had to pay a pricey sum to be elevated to Gran Class.

Overall buy the JR East Pass and pay the rest. You still have the five flex days to cover the cost which in Tohoku it is rather easy to do. Take a few more Shinkansen rides and you paid it off.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 09:02
Hi!

If you specifically only want to go Green Car and will be traveling only 7 days, the regular Japan Rail Pass Green Car Pass comes in slightly cheaper than upgrading the JR East Tohoku Pass or a round trip via Green Car at 38,880. The negative is it is 7 consecutive days but it is a tad cheaper than the other two options if you specifically want Green Car. (the JR East Flex pass is cheaper if you want ordinary cars only.)

I've only done Green once on a Haruka to KIX back when the Harukas only had reserved seats like the NEX and it was Green car or missing my flight. Most ordinary trains are lovely.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 09:52
We used to do green car all the time but I dont really bother these days. In some ways it is nice, but against that you are usually in a carriage where the only other travellers are businessmen, and it is a bit stale and lifeless to be honest.

I'd still do green car for a train like the wideview hida because in that one you are up the front looking through the front window, but not usually for shinkansen unless the other reserved carriages dont have adjoining seats left.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 10:28
I always use the Green Car on commuter trains (Shonan-Shinjuku Line, etc.), but on the Shinkansen I just donft see much point; decent enough seats with heaps of legroom in all the cars Ifve ever sat in.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 12:10
If you really want to take the Green Car you can still use the rail pass and cover a portion of the cost (i.e. Basic Fare and Shinkansen Supplement), but still pay the remainder which is on top of the economy.

The pass covers the base fare only on Green seats.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/26 12:54
too early, but ordinary cars seat enough, if not fat or super tall w/long legs.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/tohokushinkansen.html
by elzs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green Car Option - Shinkansen 2019/6/27 01:59
Yes that is correct only the base fare for the Green Car.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread