Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen in summer 2019/6/26 00:56
We will be visiting Japan for the first in late July and would be very interested in an onsen experience. Is visiting an onsen in summer something Japanese people do and would it be enjoyable considering the hot summer months?
We were looking into Yamanaka Onsen, but just not sure if it makes sense.

Thank you
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Onsen in summer 2019/6/26 07:59
While I would say that autumn and spring is best for onsen (and potentially winter), onsen do function in summer as well. I would however attempt to go in the early evening when temperatures have cooled a bit down.

Enjoy the soak!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in summer 2019/6/26 08:47
I'm in Japan right now where it's pretty warm. It can also help to go in the morning before things heat up. I also expect picking the right location helps. I was near Kamikochi this time last year and it was only around 21 C, maybe cooler so going in the onsen felt great. Were going up to Hanamaki onsen later in the trip and the average temperatures in Morioka are looking to be 25 C as a high.

So I would just try to get some sense of the temperatures where you are going. I've been to Nagano proper in late June. It was warm but it felt cooler than Kanazawa and Takayama.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in summer 2019/6/26 09:27
I was in Kinosaki Onsen when it was pretty warm one year, on the plus side the Japanese dont seem to worry about the heat and they were out in force onsen hopping in their yukata, on the minus side we had a private outdoor bath which was pretty much filled with bugs, and we became the target for every mossie in town.

I'd second Kamikochi, maybe Karuizawa as well.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in summer 2019/6/26 10:09
Was at onsen hotel this weekend just gone - several times throughout the day - still early summer though. The people I was with probably had six or more during the one-night stay.
People use onsen all year - actually public bath houses can be very busy in the peak of summer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread