Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to move about in large group? 2019/7/1 06:03
Hi. I am planning a 13-day family trip for 14 people. Being on a budget, we won't be getting JR Pass but instead rely on individual train tickets/pass to move around. Will arrive in Osaka, then to Kyoto, Nara and Kobe. From Osaka, by bus to Tokyo, then to and fro Hakone, Fuji, with day trip to Kamakura and Yokohama. Depart from Haneda.

1. Can you suggest a useful pass for moving around Kansai and Tokyo.

2. Tips on how to smoothly move about in big group?

3. Is it possible to rent a 14-seater van or van with a driver to go on a day trip instead of individual tickets for 14 people each time? Thanks

by essential  

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 00:00
1. Just get IC cards for everyone. With some exceptions (Hakone Free Pass, Nikko, etc.), just paying the normal fares is usually the cheapest way to travel around metro areas.

2. What kind of tips? The only thing I would say is donft make a nuisance by getting in everyone elsefs way, standing in front of ticket gates/machines as a group of 14, etc. I donft know, use common sense.

3. You certainly can rent a vehicle, whether or not it makes more sense than just taking a train like everyone else is another question. Not only is renting a vehicle generally costly but Japan also has many expensive toll roads, and some places donft have good parking facilities at all. In general, itfs much less car-friendly than what some of us Americans/Europeans are used to. At the very least therefs a good chance that the issues with driving somewhere are going to outweigh the very minor nuisance of having to top up an IC card. So, where are you thinking of driving to?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 00:34
There is a van (micro bus?) that seats 14. I do not know if it is more economical overall or not, and there will be another issue of parking. Just for reference, see the following link.
https://www.skyrent.jp/campaigns/hiace/
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 07:14
Your main problem will be 14 people with large luggage moving to so many locations on public transport.

The comment about parking is so true in Japan. I've lived and traveled in Japan and you would not find parking for a 14 seater bus anywhere apart from major hotels, some main attractions and rest stops on toll roads.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 10:44
Initially I thought about the possibility of being more convenient to drive a van with everyone in it on a day trip either from Osaka to Nara, Kyoto and then back to Osaka or from Tokyo to Yokohama, Kamakura and back to Tokyo instead of buying tickets at every train station to get from places to places. But after hearing the opinions of Liz, 092 and mfedley, I am giving that up when I realized that the bigger issue may probably be the parking.

Instead, I am considering getting one freepass each for everyone for the Kansai area and another for the Tokyo-Hakone-Fuji-Tokyo leg. Just trying to understand the various pass there is. And to move about Tokyo, maybe a Suica pass for everyone.

We will leaving Osaka on a night bus to Shinjuku, with about 8 large luggage bags and 14 hand carry ones. Arriving Shinjuku very early on the 5th day morning, then begin the 3 day 2 night for the Hakone-Fuji leg, and the Tokyo leg will only begin after that.

I am trying to figure out what to do with all those bags after we arrived Shinjuku on the 5th morning. Bringing them to Hakone would be a hassle. Finding lockers for so many pieces of luggage may be an obstacle. I am booking an AirBnB in Tokyo and so I can't leave my bags with them for a stay that would be in 3 days time.

Any suggestions?
by essential rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 11:10
https://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/ttk/english/

Sagawa is one of the delivery companies and started this service.
This is basically temporary (one day) storage service, but they may be able to keep overnight.
Please contact directly.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 12:55
How about luggage forwarding only the big bags from Osaka to Shinjuku? And just bring along what you need for Hakone?
i had the same issue with the luggage problem during my last april trip as i booked airbnb in Sapporo.
I sent my luggages - 6 of them (think it was 3200 yen per piece for large bags)- from Tokyo to Sapporo, to be picked up at the nearest Yamato office 3 days later. I contacted Yamato to get the nearest office address. > https://contact-us.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/webtoi/english/top.do
by earthgurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 14:49
My tip for moving in a big group on public transport would be not to. Split up into smaller groups of 4 or less, and make a plan to meet at certain points. 14 people in one group would be too tricky and annoying.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/2 15:27
If from Osaka you actually want to go to Fujisan and not to Shinjuku, why not take a night bus directly to Fujisan?

http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus/route/all/shizuoka/

For luggage if you want to have your big luggage directly from Tokyo to Osaka you could send it by eg Yamato Kuroneko and pick it up at a distribution center close to your Airbnb. There are many distribution centers so there will be one closeby. Yamato has an English phone service and if you tell them your address in Tokyo theyfll find you their closest distribution center. You can then ship you luggage from your Osaka hotel or from a conbini (eg 7/11).

Regardring passes , it depends on your itinerary. But you might actually NOT need a pass and just an IC card for everyone.

Splitting up in smaller groups can also accommodate better the different interests and speeds of people. Maybe do some parts together and some as gfreetimeh. In that case it would be good if everyone had internet. (Itfs possible w/o if itfs a budget concern)

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to move about in large group? 2019/7/3 13:51
Many thanks to ..., earthgurl & Sal1980. Wow, I am getting a lot of fantastic suggestions and options here. I haven't the slightest idea that those delivery companies have such service that keeps your luggage for several days. This is going to be useful.

LikeBike, I did thought about going directly from Osaka to Fuji but due to all those big luggage, I thought it'd be easier and better off for me to drop them off somewhere in Shinjuku especially when I return there after the Fuji-Hakone leg ends. Another reason is being in Shinjuku, we can buy those Day Pass/Area Pass for Fuji-Hakone.

As suggested, If we were to get to Fuji directly from Osaka, we would be without any Pass. What would you suggest for getting around locally and around Fujigoko, 5th Station, etc then shoot off to Hakone, Unesco Heritage, the ropeway, cablecar, etc. then off to Shinjuku? Will we be able to get buy some kind of a Pass at Fuji itself, or will it be more feasible to get around with just an IC card?
by essential rate this post as useful

reply to this thread